Summer Art Program

  • Tina
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2008
      Dear Colleagues,

      Does anyone out there have some really great summer ideas for a small group of 7th graders?  I will be teaching an enrichment class and am looking for something that would be appropriate for 4 weeks/8 sessions.
      All ideas are appreciated!
      Thanks
    • familyerickson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2008
        They love polymer clay.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2008
          Floral foam sculptures! We did these initially as a project for
          Easter Island, but we'll be doing them this year in camp as part of
          our "worst case scenario day" and they will be carved as tombstones.
          All you need is a table cover (optional but recommended as it is a
          MESSY project), knives- steak knives or even decent disposable plastic
          knives will work-, awls or pins, 3-4 pieces of sized paper per
          student, and one piece of floral foam per child, though keep a few on
          hand extra in case they break or the child's concept just doesn't pull
          through the first time.
          I gave each child a piece of floral foam, 3 pieces of pre-sized
          paper that fit around the foam. I had each child draw what they though
          the statue would look like from that perspective- left, right, and
          head on. This is so important to kids who have never done this kind
          of work before. Tell them to use the entire piece of paper- don't try
          to create tiny images in the center, it will never crave out
          correctly. Give them examples of somewhat done, half done and full
          projects look like. I don't always give examples since I think it
          sometimes stifles what they can create on their own, but this project
          is so new to most kids that without examples, it is hard to see why
          they would preform certain steps. Then hand them knives after you've
          gone over their drawing and they have used the pins to push in a
          tracing of what their sculpture will look like, and stand back.
          Anyone with respiratory problems needs to have on a dust mask- in
          fact, it's a good idea for every, but especially kids with breathing
          issues.

          Marbleizing paper and then taking that paper and making it into
          journals or origami is a beautiful way to see a project through until
          the end.
          Everyone loves to tyedye, and this age is perfect to try advanced
          knot work with. Though I would highly recommend some extra helpers
          who have been given instruction in oriental knot making before helping
          the kids with it. These knots can be used as zipper pulls, car
          decorations, or as greeting card embellishments. Even guys like to do
          these extra fancy knots. During my yearly classes, we will learn to
          make knots and then draw them. It's amazing how drawing the knot
          after you make it increases awareness of the space in the drawing.
          (try before and after drawings, it's amazing :)
          Another thing to do with string is create "knot art", or spacial
          environments with knots. Making the tools of the art part of the art-
          make a sculpture of say sticks that's cool and abstract, and then
          connect it with beautiful knots or string that increases the value of
          the object. The knots and string should add to the sculpture.
          Have fun at your summer camp,
          Brandy