wild west art activities

  • Cindy Swanson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2008
      Hello,
      I have been a member of this group for a while, but have just
      been "lurking." I am a former 1st grade teacher, but am now a "free
      agent." I'm going to teach an art summer camp at Gilcrease Museum and
      would love to know if anyone has any lesson plans for the wild west. I
      will have the K-1st children. I have searched the internet, but have
      found very little for this age group. If anyone has a lesson they have
      used or a resource they could recommend I would be very grateful!
      Thank you!
      Cindy
    • kamla ravikumar
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008

        Hi,

        I have been holding summer camps for quite a few years here in India.

        I found that the children find it interesting when you make the subject activity oriented.

        You could collect images of typical wild west scenes and make a Power point presentaion to "Introduce" the subject to them.

        Then split up the group and give them topics to work on.

        Ask each group to work on a kind of research on the horse and its gear ( the saddle, etc).The various dresses that men and women wore during the wild west days.

        A nice collage of sample fabrics and a few sketches of the dresses.

        A sketch of a typical stage coach, would be so interesting.

        If you are permitted to try drama let the students put up a small skit ..so they learn to talk in the typical style that they used to speak, during the wild west days.

        Good Luck.

        Kamla

        Chennai,India.