Re: Differentiated lessons

  • Janet Huskey
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
      I have been incorporating a modified choice based art education program in my room.  It has worked great to assist my special needs students.  A sample would be introducing self-portraits.  We define a self portrait and identify some.  We have also been using student work in the past  (ex. line up if you made a portrait today, line up if you used primary colors today, etc.).  Students are then given centers that they have been introduced to over several weeks to produce a portrait.  They could use the drawing center, collage, fibers, computer, etc. to complete their portrait.  In this way I can assist students in their choices based on their special needs and they will begin to make choices to complete the assignment while have different choices.  I think this type of approach may help you in creating a differentiated environment in the art room.  Hope this helps!

      Janet
      MO
    • Marcia
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
        For the second year I am a Day Camp Coordinator for the park district.
        we go on field trips, play games and sports, do crafts and all kinds
        of fun things. It's a busy summer and I don't really get any time
        off, but it's a good source of extra income.

        Marcia

      • rutheannwalsh@grouply.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
          Thank for your help, that may work.
          I think I need to do those games with flash cards etc.  That to me makes more since when it is reading or math.  And with prek-2 I don't do that mauch with art history -- with much written I do talk about different artist.  And the books that I have seen are not really talking about art.
          Well, I have the summer.
          Thank you-
          Ruthe Ann
          NJ

        • rutheannwalsh@grouply.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
            Thanks yes ID the sepecial ed students helps I do not always know.  And we just do this as we go around working 1;1 with students.  I do things like that also guess I have to write everything down in the lesson plans now to show it.
            Thanks-
            Ruthe Ann

          • aliteachesart
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
              I am going to be getting some work and kits together and starting an
              Esty site. My goal is to by a pmc kiln with money I've made from
              making art instead of teaching it. Ali B