Re: Differentiated lessons

  • aj4art
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
      Just curious- what is a PIP?
      I just had this discussion with a couple teachers + the special ed teacher in my school. (I
      think your special ed person can help you with DI. I do believe that is their job. ) Anyway,
      when I taught sewing with my 4th graders, the students who could not do the project
      used glue and staples instead of a needle and thread. Now we are working on Rainforest
      drawings, but I cut out a stencil for the few who have difficulty drawing. I am going to
      meet with this person again for more ideas, being that special ed is not my specialty. My
      students will be working on the rainforest project until the end of the year, but my special
      ed kids will need 2 more lessons, because they finish so quickly. I hope this helps.
      Amy (NY)
      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, rutheannwalsh@... wrote:

      > Already worried about next year.
      > For a PIP(not my idea) I need to do 8 lessons that have the differentiated.? I see how it
      hows for reading and math but not so much for art.? I teach prk-2nd grade.? Help!!!

      > Thanks-
      > Ruthe Ann
      > NJ

    • Janet Huskey
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
        I have been incorporating a modified choice based art education program in my room.  It has worked great to assist my special needs students.  A sample would be introducing self-portraits.  We define a self portrait and identify some.  We have also been using student work in the past  (ex. line up if you made a portrait today, line up if you used primary colors today, etc.).  Students are then given centers that they have been introduced to over several weeks to produce a portrait.  They could use the drawing center, collage, fibers, computer, etc. to complete their portrait.  In this way I can assist students in their choices based on their special needs and they will begin to make choices to complete the assignment while have different choices.  I think this type of approach may help you in creating a differentiated environment in the art room.  Hope this helps!

        Janet
        MO
      • Marcia
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
          For the second year I am a Day Camp Coordinator for the park district.
          we go on field trips, play games and sports, do crafts and all kinds
          of fun things. It's a busy summer and I don't really get any time
          off, but it's a good source of extra income.

          Marcia

        • rutheannwalsh@grouply.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
            Thank for your help, that may work.
            I think I need to do those games with flash cards etc.  That to me makes more since when it is reading or math.  And with prek-2 I don't do that mauch with art history -- with much written I do talk about different artist.  And the books that I have seen are not really talking about art.
            Well, I have the summer.
            Thank you-
            Ruthe Ann
            NJ

          • rutheannwalsh@grouply.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
              Thanks yes ID the sepecial ed students helps I do not always know.  And we just do this as we go around working 1;1 with students.  I do things like that also guess I have to write everything down in the lesson plans now to show it.
              Thanks-
              Ruthe Ann

            • aliteachesart
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                I am going to be getting some work and kits together and starting an
                Esty site. My goal is to by a pmc kiln with money I've made from
                making art instead of teaching it. Ali B