Re: Long Term Sub

  • pent19
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2008
      Jen, I am finishing up my stint as a long term sub (of two years). It
      was a great experience and the students don't remember the teacher i
      am in for (I teach high school, 5 intro courses.) When I got hired the
      high school had 4 teachers and three rooms, they lost one to
      retirement and I got the retired teachers room. The teacher I subbed
      for was on a cart traveling from room to room (granted she taught
      jewelry course and studio and needed to be in certain rooms). So I had
      a new room all to myself to do what I wanted with. I have run the
      class like it is my own, did what I wanted and consulted with my
      colleagues for ideas and curriculum alignment. I also student taught
      at this high school and was familiar with everything. Since you are
      starting the year and not coming in mid-year, I would run the room
      like its your own. Establish your own discipline, clean-up policies
      and projects. Students may mention that Ms. So and So did this, but
      let them know that this works for you and things will change when she
      gets back. Unless someone has said, follow these plans and do this, I
      would treat it like its your own room and students. Who knows, she may
      take the year off to spend with her child, and you may land yourself a
      job!
      Michele NY

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Millward"