Re: Art lessons for teen with Asperger's

  • julie
    Message 1 of 10 , May 26, 2008
      that is so true. it breaks my heart to see asperger's kids get bullied and tormented,
      unfortunately by students AND staff, because it's an "invisible" disorder...and these
      childhood scars run deep....

      two quick thoughts on instruction:

      1) sensory issues: the student may be sensory defensive, meaning sensitive to certain
      odors, textures, loud noises, bright (or high frequency) lights, etc.

      2) communication: the student may not process too many oral directions spoken at one
      time. sometimes writing 1. color, 2. cut, 3. paste is more effective than saying "color, cut,
      paste." some asperger's kids cannot multi-task, meaning they might not be able to
      concentrate on the step in progress and talk about the next step at the same time.
      sometimes asperger's kids are very literal, so you might want to try saying the same thing
      in different ways IF you don't see the light bulb go off the first time. e.g you might say "do
      you know what to do?" and the student says yes, because they know they're supposed to
      do the project, but sit quietly waiting. next you might ask, "do you know how to begin?" or
      "what's the first step?" in any case, it might be a good idea to ask for feedback and ask
      students to repeat back instructions to know the message was received (but not just
      parroted)

      however, since all asperger's kids are different, it's also a good idea to ask the mother
      what would help make her child more successful, and ask the student himself!

      asperger kids are quite lovely, charming, intelligent kids, many with a great sense of
      humor, and you can tell they're close to my heart

      :-) julie t.