last week of school-ideas to stay sane

  • a_garbers
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2008
      Hi All,

      I thought I'd chime in on this one! :)

      My favorite thing to do for the last day of school is to offer a choice day to my students (I'll
      do this periodically through the year too-especially around holiday breaks). I have a large
      cart with bins in my room. In the bins, I have a variety of art related games (Escher lizard
      puzzle, other tesselation puzzles, coloring books, magnetic funny faces puzzle, I spy
      books, tons of how to draw books, origami materials, etc). I'll also put out modeling clay
      and even possibly left over paint (almost empty watercolor trays, etc). I create stations in
      my room at the different tables and designate areas in the room for each activity.
      Students choose which stations they would like to go to and can change stations at any
      time. They know to clean up their area before moving to a different station or they won't
      get to participate anymore. This works great-the kids get so excited over it! It's easy and
      lots of fun!

      I also have a reserve of art games that I've created and gotten ideas for from other art
      teachers. We'll play "beach ball art criticism" where we'll toss around a beach ball with
      various questions on it from the Feldman Method of art criticism. I'll hang an art poster in
      the room and students will take turns answering the questions on the beach ball about the
      painting. Almost no clean up involved and it gets in another chance to cover those state
      and national standards involving time lines, recognizing works by various artitis, etc. This
      is also good for review for artists studied earlier in the year.

      Hope this helps give you some more ideas!

      Amy in Florida