Re: [art_education] A whole school project!

  • Julie Casebourn
    Message 1 of 13 , May 24, 2002
      I did just this thing last year in my elementary
      school. It was not only a school-wide project, but a
      community one as well. Our white, sterile elementary
      walls was in need of a makeover----bad!!! We created
      7, 8ft. by 3ft. mosaics completely from children's
      clay artwork and recyled materials. The only material
      that was purchased was the wooden panels we glued the
      artwork to; the adhesives (some was donated) and the
      grout (some was donated). The panels traveled around
      the area on display at local musuems, banks, community
      centers and the state conservation center before we
      permanently installed them a few months ago. If you
      would like more detailed information- I would be happy
      to send you a packet of the how-tos, tips etc... just
      e-mail me personally and I'll get it out as soon as I
      can. Good luck, Julie

      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
      http://launch.yahoo.com
    • eggplant49@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , May 24, 2002
        I am very excited to read all of the wonderful, creative suggestions! We are becoming a grades 3-8 enitity next year... but were k-8 since time began....so, I am planning a schoolwide project to help the school spirit a little.
        I am a quilter and fabric artist/lover and I have always used quilts as schoolwide projects. For our town's 100th anniversary, I had everyone in school create a quilt block and we presented it to the town. I have done a stamped "Family Tree" quilt schoolwide. Right now I am working with the 5th grade on a friendship quilt using Wonder-Under (a fabric bonding technique). We are having bullying problems and this is a different approach to caring for one another. Returning students~ now college students and beyond~ feel such pleasure and nostalgia when they see their quilt blocks from years ago. An advantage also is the portable nature of quilts...
        Best of luck...keep the wonderful ideas coming!
        Lynn in NJ
      • Wayong@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 24, 2002
          I might be working on a mural with a small class of 4 graders next year. I want to have as much input from the kids as possible. Suggestions? I was thinking of having the kids draw pictures with selected themes, then do a larger picture together & then I would draw their picture on the wall & they would outline & color it in. Would it be realistic to have them draw directly on the wall? I would imagine it wouldn't be a cohesive, but I wouldn't want to limit them.

          Wayong
        • Wayong@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 24, 2002
            I'm not sure if I'll have access to an overhead projector, but thanks anyway. I'm pretty good at imitating kids' art styles. It's not till next year so I have plenty of time.
          • The Austin's
            Message 5 of 13 , May 24, 2002
              I have found that having kids draw directly on the wall doesn't work for 2
              reasons - 1) they aren't used to drawing vertically and 2) they aren't
              comfortable drawing on a large scale. Have them draw their mural on a
              transparancy and then trace it on the wall with an overhead. Also, as the
              professional why don't you take the drawings and combine them for the
              students. Then at least it would be balanced visually. So what if it is not
              cohesive to the un-involved viewer - it would be cohesive in the minds of
              the students! :-)
              ~Michal
              http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

              > I might be working on a mural with a small class of 4 graders next year.
              I want to have as much input from the kids as possible. Suggestions? I was
              thinking of having the kids draw pictures with selected themes, then do a
              larger picture together & then I would draw their picture on the wall & they
              would outline & color it in. Would it be realistic to have them draw
              directly on the wall? I would imagine it wouldn't be a cohesive, but I
              wouldn't want to limit them.

              > Wayong

              ---
            • Mcarsart@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , May 25, 2002
                I did a tile wall with nearly 1000 students! I purchased (with grant money)
                4" bisque tile, and each student and staff member had the opportunity to
                "leave their mark at Clark". We used underglazes, I fired them, and then I
                put on a clear glaze. It's really great, documents who was in the building
                (we did it in January of 2000) as we entered the new millennium. They still
                stand in front of the wall and check out the tiles.
              • Lynn Pass
                Message 7 of 13 , May 28, 2002
                  --Hi,
                  This is Lynn (I wrote about a mural project I did with 200 kids earlier). We didn't use an overhead. The kids did their original drawings and I transferred them to the wall with tracing paper (and made sure the drawings stayed in the student's style). Then the kids came down in manageble groups to paint them, which worked out very well.
                  Lynn

                  On Fri, 24 May 2002 18:39:41
                  Wayong wrote:
                  >I'm not sure if I'll have access to an overhead projector, but thanks anyway. I'm pretty good at imitating kids' art styles. It's not till next year so I have plenty of time.

                  Outgrown your current e-mail service?
                  Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
                  http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus