Re: [art_education] How much time?

  • Linda Daumen
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1 8:50 PM
      Hi,
      That sounds confusing for sure, I have 620 students, pre K-7th grades & travel to 3 schools per week.Pre K - 3rd have 30 -35 minutes once a week depending on the school and 40-45 mins for 4th through 7th once per week also depending on the school. While the schedule is once a week..it is exhausting! Linda in Va.

      czoulek <czoulek@...> wrote:
      We're taking a look at our elementary art schedule - K-3 students have
      45 minutes of art every 6 days, 4-6 students have art twice a cycle,
      so 90 minutes every 6 days. (We're in Central Iowa)

      How does that compare to your district?

    • marcia
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2 7:37 AM
        I teach K-6 at a private school. Our school is
        different from others in our schedule. Kids don't have
        a self-contained classroom, but they rotate to
        specialty teachers for each subject. It works out
        wonderful because they have special groupings for math
        and they are grouped by their ability level rather
        than grade level. Each period is 40 minutes long.
        (There are double periods of Language Arts/Social
        Studies.) Anyways... I see each class K-6 twice per
        week for 40 min. For me this is the perfect amount of
        time. I think a little bit longer for the older kids
        wouldn't be bad, but at the elementary level 40 min.
        is perfect for their attention span. The kids also
        have study halls a couple times a week where I can
        give them work to catch up on. Marcia in WI

        Be a better friend, newshound, and