RE: [art_education] KILN... HELP!

  • Linda Gomez
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2008
      Hi there,
      Wind is the best way to dry clay.
      The only problem with force drying things is that they may crack in the firing.
      Good luck.
      Linda.

      To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
      From: hillmjan@...
      Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 10:18:57 -0400
      Subject: RE: [art_education] KILN... HELP!

      Just remember that the boiling point of water is 212 degrees F.    Set your kiln to 200 or below for 3-4 hours if you can.  Prop open the lid a bit with a kiln stilt laid on its side to release the moisture from the kiln.    If you can do this the night before you fire, that would surely help.

      Tampa is very humid, and I often put my students’ works in front of a box fan set on low.  The movement of the air allows drying to take place.

      Jan in Tampa

      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2008
         I always fire student work over night on lw also before bringing it up to speed the next day.  I have noticed  that even bisque wae sucks up huge amounts of mosisure, and that certainly leads to  many problems.  In other words, I used to heat my glaze fire ( bisue ware for just an hour before going into the medium heat.  To be on the safe side now, I  even  fire the gazed things on low for four to 6 hours.  Green ware is overnight on low with all peep holes open and top  loading door wide open as well.

        Speaking of kilns... does anyone know anything about firing glass ... fusing etc, with a Skutt electic kiln.?  It has a cone sitter and timer but it doesn't tell me the temperature...and my budget doens't allow for  any more extra's.