Re: [art_education] A whole school project!

  • Mary Kate McKinley
    Message 1 of 13 , May 24, 2002
               If it's a truly a "whole school" project you must allow the school population to suggest themes, images, media & in your case, presentation.  You & a core group of students can coordinate the collection of ideas through an open-ended survey.  Sort through them & develop your idea.  You'll find that you can incorporate many of these ideas into the project.  It sounds like you have a lot of separated wall space that you'd like to fill or unify.  Make sure your survey explains these spaces & ask for creative ways to express yourselves within & throughout that space.  You can list examples if you want to get them thinking.  You also might have so many good & different ideas a second survey with specific choices might be necessary.  Remember to include the administration in the planning phase also.
               Do that & then get back to us again for help developing & implementing your school's ideas.  Good Luck!

                                 -Mary Kate!

      P.S. - I've done this with various groups, classes & schools.  It's much easier when you allow everyone some initial input & then share with them the finished plans.  It also helps educate them about the creative process.  Always look for the advocacy angle!

      At 03:21 PM Thursday 5/23/2002 +0000, you wrote:

      Hello everyone!

      I was wondering in anyone out there has ever worked on a whole school
      project, or knows a site I could look it. Let me explain what I have
      in mind.

      Our college is in dire need of a face lift. There is hardly anything
      on the walls except for pictures of students long gone and forgotten.
      I was thinking of producing something or other to which all students
      (about 900) would contribute in one way or another. I have as yet no
      idea as to what I could do and I will consider practically anything.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks

      Blue

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      213eb37.jpg
      213eb50.jpg

      ---
      Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
    • Julie Casebourn
      Message 2 of 13 , May 24, 2002
        I did just this thing last year in my elementary
        school. It was not only a school-wide project, but a
        community one as well. Our white, sterile elementary
        walls was in need of a makeover----bad!!! We created
        7, 8ft. by 3ft. mosaics completely from children's
        clay artwork and recyled materials. The only material
        that was purchased was the wooden panels we glued the
        artwork to; the adhesives (some was donated) and the
        grout (some was donated). The panels traveled around
        the area on display at local musuems, banks, community
        centers and the state conservation center before we
        permanently installed them a few months ago. If you
        would like more detailed information- I would be happy
        to send you a packet of the how-tos, tips etc... just
        e-mail me personally and I'll get it out as soon as I
        can. Good luck, Julie

        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
        http://launch.yahoo.com
      • eggplant49@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 24, 2002
          I am very excited to read all of the wonderful, creative suggestions! We are becoming a grades 3-8 enitity next year... but were k-8 since time began....so, I am planning a schoolwide project to help the school spirit a little.
          I am a quilter and fabric artist/lover and I have always used quilts as schoolwide projects. For our town's 100th anniversary, I had everyone in school create a quilt block and we presented it to the town. I have done a stamped "Family Tree" quilt schoolwide. Right now I am working with the 5th grade on a friendship quilt using Wonder-Under (a fabric bonding technique). We are having bullying problems and this is a different approach to caring for one another. Returning students~ now college students and beyond~ feel such pleasure and nostalgia when they see their quilt blocks from years ago. An advantage also is the portable nature of quilts...
          Best of luck...keep the wonderful ideas coming!
          Lynn in NJ
        • Wayong@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 24, 2002
            I might be working on a mural with a small class of 4 graders next year. I want to have as much input from the kids as possible. Suggestions? I was thinking of having the kids draw pictures with selected themes, then do a larger picture together & then I would draw their picture on the wall & they would outline & color it in. Would it be realistic to have them draw directly on the wall? I would imagine it wouldn't be a cohesive, but I wouldn't want to limit them.

            Wayong
          • Wayong@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 24, 2002
              I'm not sure if I'll have access to an overhead projector, but thanks anyway. I'm pretty good at imitating kids' art styles. It's not till next year so I have plenty of time.
            • The Austin's
              Message 6 of 13 , May 24, 2002
                I have found that having kids draw directly on the wall doesn't work for 2
                reasons - 1) they aren't used to drawing vertically and 2) they aren't
                comfortable drawing on a large scale. Have them draw their mural on a
                transparancy and then trace it on the wall with an overhead. Also, as the
                professional why don't you take the drawings and combine them for the
                students. Then at least it would be balanced visually. So what if it is not
                cohesive to the un-involved viewer - it would be cohesive in the minds of
                the students! :-)
                ~Michal
                http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

                > I might be working on a mural with a small class of 4 graders next year.
                I want to have as much input from the kids as possible. Suggestions? I was
                thinking of having the kids draw pictures with selected themes, then do a
                larger picture together & then I would draw their picture on the wall & they
                would outline & color it in. Would it be realistic to have them draw
                directly on the wall? I would imagine it wouldn't be a cohesive, but I
                wouldn't want to limit them.

                > Wayong

                ---
              • Mcarsart@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 25, 2002
                  I did a tile wall with nearly 1000 students! I purchased (with grant money)
                  4" bisque tile, and each student and staff member had the opportunity to
                  "leave their mark at Clark". We used underglazes, I fired them, and then I
                  put on a clear glaze. It's really great, documents who was in the building
                  (we did it in January of 2000) as we entered the new millennium. They still
                  stand in front of the wall and check out the tiles.
                • Lynn Pass
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 28, 2002
                    --Hi,
                    This is Lynn (I wrote about a mural project I did with 200 kids earlier). We didn't use an overhead. The kids did their original drawings and I transferred them to the wall with tracing paper (and made sure the drawings stayed in the student's style). Then the kids came down in manageble groups to paint them, which worked out very well.
                    Lynn

                    On Fri, 24 May 2002 18:39:41
                    Wayong wrote:
                    >I'm not sure if I'll have access to an overhead projector, but thanks anyway. I'm pretty good at imitating kids' art styles. It's not till next year so I have plenty of time.

                    Outgrown your current e-mail service?
                    Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
                    http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus