Re: [art_education] Great art lessons this year?

  • draw.art
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 13, 2008

      We are doing a foot cast now- and I thought the kids would have to partner up but actually they're doing their own foot. They will do the top and then the bottom and join them in another session. Here's a little film showing the kids at work- definately happy-
      By the way, look how EASY it is to insert a little film into your blog!

      They are talking about painting them in all kinds of ways. Then they can add any additional materials to make the work and concept outstanding. By the way, the pieces need to be cut very small.
      Barbara

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 13, 2008
        Hi, Barbara! I tried to post the following comment to your blog, but
        apparently you need a blogger or google id, which I don't have at the
        moment.Maybe later. In the meanwhile, here's my comment:

        Hello, Barbara. I went to the New Orleans convention, too. Wasn't it
        grand?! I was so busy with sessions and workshops, I didn't venture
        out much...shame on me! But I made a commitment to myself to return
        to New Orleans soon, and bring my family, to take in the recontructed
        glory of the resilient and fascinating city.

        Did you get to attend the presentation about the Blue Dog artist?
        George Rodrigue himself was unable to be there as scheduled due to a
        death in his family, but his wife came and made a wonderful
        presentation. I found out that he actually does a great deal of art
        the does not include the Blue Dog. I wish I had made it to his
        exhibit at the art museum.

        I like your blog! And will check back for updates.
        :-)

        Amy in TN
      • Amy Broady
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 13, 2008
          Hello, all. Thanks for a great prompt, Brandy!

          I tried polymer clay this year for the first time. Turns out, it's
          great for giving hands-on experience with color mixing. Better than
          paint, in my opinion!

          We made buttons with the polymer clay. You can learn more about it at
          my project blog:
          http://mrsbroady.edublogs.org/

          Blogging is another new thing to me this year, and will definitely
          continue it, even though I've not yet gotten into the habit of
          updating as often as my good intentions would have me doing.

          Lessons I will definitely do again include copper repousse, life-size
          student silhouettes (whole body) filled with patterns (group
          project), and paper cranes created with origami paper that my
          students design with handmade stamps or crayon rubbings. I will also
          continue to teach the seven motifs--see this webpage:

          http://www.walterandersonmuseum.org/frameset4.htm

          and introduce my students to the amazing art of Walter Anderson.

          I was quite pleased by my students' responses to a poem that I
          presented to them as a prompt for a painting: This Bridge, by Shel
          Silverstein. (You can Google it...I don't remember which of his
          poetry books it came from.) It is not as humorous as many of his
          poems; it inspires thoughtful reflection and interpretation. I do not
          show my students his illustration, as I want for my students to
          conjure up their own vision of the bridge, and what it leads to, and
          where it leads from.

          Another aspect of my teaching that I am just starting to develop, and
          will continue with greater intensity next year, is the incorporation
          of technology. I just got an ActivBoard and InFocus project mounted
          in my artroom, and and eager to learn how to enhance my students'
          experiences through the use of these tools. I feel so fortunate to
          have this equipment; until now, I have not even been able to present
          PowerPoints, so I had never made a PowerPoint presentation until the
          NAEA convention, when I made 2. I'm looking forward to honing my
          PowerPoint skills, for sure!

          As for specific lessons that I myself have learned...I learn from my
          students each and every day. I can't pick just one thing I have
          learned.

          One thing I am still trying to learn is how to balance my
          professional life with family life. I am so passsionate about what I
          do, and never stop thinking about art and ways to improve my teaching
          and my classroom. I stay at school late (with my kids--they're right
          there with me!--trying to get organized and ready, and never feel on
          top of things. Sound familiar? I bet it does! That's why we are art
          educators! I wouldn't want to do anything else! But I have come to
          realize that there is indeed a disadvantage to such an intense
          enthusiasm for my job. I wish I could more easily turn off my work
          mode of thinking so that it would not constantly encroach upon my
          family time. They are good sports about it, but I have become more
          aware recently of how much of my time and attention are eaten up by
          my job. I need to be more efficient in order to achieve a better
          balance for my beloved husband and children.

          I don't mean to end on a depressing note. It's actually a good thing
          that I realize this; I am now striving to regain the balance, and am
          making progress. :-)

          Eager to hear how others respond,
          Amy in TN
          grades 3-5
        • Brandy
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 14, 2008
            I had one roll of plaster cloth for each student, at a cost of about
            .83 cents per roll. One jar of coconut scented petroleum ($2) jelly
            is good enough for about 50 students, and small disposable bowls with
            warm water for each student. Large tarps, shower curtains or mats
            under each student for easy clean up and extra helpers. If you had
            older students (4th grade +), you might even make this a two day, or
            period class, where the students were paired in groups. I had extra
            adult helpers for my class.
            I had all the students take off one sock. I gave them a gloop of
            petroleum jelly on their foot and had them smear it all over the top
            and in between their toes. The water bowls were handed out at this
            time. I gave each student a roll of the cloth that had been split open
            on one side with a box cutter creating large and small lengths of
            cloth. I showed each student how to dip the cloth quickly in the
            water bowl and apply it to their foot. You only have to make sure the
            top layers are more smooth as the bumpiness will make painting it VERY
            difficult. I went around and made sure everyone understood the
            process. Getting the toes to come out was the hardest part for some
            students, so that's where I usually focused my help. I also tapped
            around their foot making sure they covered all areas well- three
            layers on all parts. When the cloth as hardened to a good tap on the
            back of the foot, I took a pair of rounded tip adult scissors and cut
            open the back of their foot and they slid their foot out and
            replastered the cut closed.
            We had studied Frida Kahlo earlier in the year and I talked about
            uncomfortable their foot cast was for thirty minutes, imagine being a
            full body cast for a year! Then we talked more about Michelangelo's
            sculpture.
            It became crucial fairly immediately to label each foot on a
            piece of paper while drying. Even students got their own cast
            incorrect when trying to retrieve them, and after you have twenty
            sitting side by side, they start to look more or less the same.
            Hope this helps,
            Brandy

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Brenda Robson <bruthrobson@...>
            wrote:

            > Can you give us the foot cast lesson?

          • Paige Conn
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 16, 2008
              HOW FUN!!! My 5th graders did arm casts last year and LOVED them. They just used them as a blank canvas once dry and painted in a variety of styles. Feet would be even easier I believe and take less plaster gauze.

              Paige

              ________________________________

[...]

              Get the MapQuest Toolbar <http://www.mapquest.com/toolbar?NCID=mpqmap00030000000003> , Maps, Traffic, Directions More!
            • tricia_fuglestad
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 25, 2008
                I'm really happy with the way this worked out this year.
                Early in the year I had my fifth graders make self-portrait paintings in the style of Frida
                Kahlo. Then we used a digital image of this portrait for the cover of magazine (graphic design
                project on the computer).
                Two for the price of one!

                Here is the Frida Kahlo portrait results on Artsonia:
                http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=93704

                Here is the Magazine Cover Design on Artsonia:
                http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=124297

                Thanks for looking,
                Tricia Fuglestad
              • Terri Noell
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 25, 2008

                  To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
                  From: tricia_fuglestad@...
                  Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 01:33:21 +0000
                  Subject: [art_education] Re: Great art lessons this year?

                  I'm really happy with the way this worked out this year.
                  Early in the year I had my fifth graders make self-portrait paintings in the style of Frida
                  Kahlo. Then we used a digital image of this portrait for the cover of magazine (graphic design
                  project on the computer).
                  Two for the price of one!

                  Here is the Frida Kahlo portrait results on Artsonia:
                  http://www.artsonia .com/museum/ gallery.asp? exhibit=93704

                  Here is the Magazine Cover Design on Artsonia:
                  http://www.artsonia .com/museum/ gallery.asp? exhibit=124297

                  Thanks for looking,
                  Tricia Fuglestad

                  these are great!!!! Thank you for sharing!
                  Terri
                  k-5 Fla.

                • Liz Egan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 28, 2008
                    My favorite art lesson this year was the Edward Hopper unit I did with my 8th grade Advanced Class.  I was totally inspired by the Boston Museum of Fine Arts hopper show which I visited several times last summer.  The class started by doing two-point perspective drawings from life outdoors of an adjacent building -- they loved that as hard as it was!  then each student took photos of their home from several angles.  then they did thumbnail sketches working out a composition. Throughout this time they visited the Hopper web pages on the Boston Museum of Fine Arts webpage and I had several posters and pictures up in the room.  they also had to do a written critique of one of his paintings, twice, once during the unit and once as a "final".  I bought the Hopper calendar, cut it up,  labeled and laminated them.  The student's painting were amazing!  I gave them plenty of time to develop the paintings and it was worth it.  they really acquired some painting skill.

                    Liz Egan
                    Westbrook Middle School
                    Westbrook, CT