Re: Student gets zero for religious drawing

  • dutchbluek
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 12, 2008
      It is ridiculous to me. Like there has to be more to the story. Was
      this student in the habit of evnagelizig as he walked through the
      halls? Does he attend a school where students have a strict dress code?

      In high school, I did a 3-D piece that included Christian, Jewish,
      Hindu, and Islamic symbols in it. There was never any thought that my
      artwork adversely affected anyone.

      Currently, all of my students are completing projects for an upcoming
      artshow. Not only did I allow them personal references to family
      religion in their work, but I also shared my mother's rosary (and the
      story behind it) with them. We live in a military community, and I
      asked them to think of a family memory to illustrate or of some object
      with sentimental value. It was highly successful! An added plus is that
      we've now connected in a way that is often difficult to do in 45
      minutes a week.

      Additionally, much of the fine art in our SRA Art Connections series
      reflects religious icons and stories. One fourth grade image is of
      sketches that someone did while preparing to paint the scene of a
      saint's execution. There are no clear images of violence in these
      sketches, yet I think the kids could handle it anyway!

      Our nation's principles are muddied and have been litigated to pieces.