Re: [art_education] A whole school project!

  • Lynn Pass
    Message 1 of 13 , May 24, 2002
      --Hello,
      I've done several murals. One of them was in a primary school. We came up with the theme, "One World". I took slides from books of the various continents and people around the world. I focused on some major landmarks, both natural and man-made. I also took pictures of each 'classroom picture' of kids. In the presentation, I ended with talking about the fact that it's One World, but that we all have a place in it. I showed North America and then Oregon and then focused on our city and then showed the slide of the class. Each class took a continent and the kids drew something on paper that they wanted to put in the mural from that continent.
      I painted the continents on the wall. We then transferred the drawings, using tracing paper onto the wall. The kids all came down in turn to the hallway where the mural was to paint their creations. Afterwards, they added sea creatures, hot air balloons, etc. It worked out very well.
      Of course, at the college level, the theme could be much more varied.
      At Portland State University, students have done murals in the art building around environmental issues.
      By the way, the mural at the primary school was done in 1990 and it still looks great! I did it with 200 2nd and 5th graders...the 5th graders are now out of college and the 2nd graders are all sophomores!
      I suggest using regular indoor latex house paint. Buy as 'pure' colors as you can get, (red, yellow and blue) and then mix what you need (get white and black too).
      Good luck!
      Lynn

      On Thu, 23 May 2002 15:21:46
      bluestarkid wrote:
      >Hello everyone!
      >
      >I was wondering in anyone out there has ever worked on a whole school
      >project, or knows a site I could look it. Let me explain what I have
      >in mind.
      >
      >Our college is in dire need of a face lift. There is hardly anything
      >on the walls except for pictures of students long gone and forgotten.
      >I was thinking of producing something or other to which all students
      >(about 900) would contribute in one way or another. I have as yet no
      >idea as to what I could do and I will consider practically anything.
      >
      >Any suggestions?
      >
      >Thanks
      >
      >Blue

      Outgrown your current e-mail service?
      Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
      http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus
    • Mary Kate McKinley
      Message 2 of 13 , May 24, 2002
                 If it's a truly a "whole school" project you must allow the school population to suggest themes, images, media & in your case, presentation.  You & a core group of students can coordinate the collection of ideas through an open-ended survey.  Sort through them & develop your idea.  You'll find that you can incorporate many of these ideas into the project.  It sounds like you have a lot of separated wall space that you'd like to fill or unify.  Make sure your survey explains these spaces & ask for creative ways to express yourselves within & throughout that space.  You can list examples if you want to get them thinking.  You also might have so many good & different ideas a second survey with specific choices might be necessary.  Remember to include the administration in the planning phase also.
                 Do that & then get back to us again for help developing & implementing your school's ideas.  Good Luck!

                                   -Mary Kate!

        P.S. - I've done this with various groups, classes & schools.  It's much easier when you allow everyone some initial input & then share with them the finished plans.  It also helps educate them about the creative process.  Always look for the advocacy angle!

        At 03:21 PM Thursday 5/23/2002 +0000, you wrote:

        Hello everyone!

        I was wondering in anyone out there has ever worked on a whole school
        project, or knows a site I could look it. Let me explain what I have
        in mind.

        Our college is in dire need of a face lift. There is hardly anything
        on the walls except for pictures of students long gone and forgotten.
        I was thinking of producing something or other to which all students
        (about 900) would contribute in one way or another. I have as yet no
        idea as to what I could do and I will consider practically anything.

        Any suggestions?

        Thanks

        Blue

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        213eb37.jpg
        213eb50.jpg

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
      • Julie Casebourn
        Message 3 of 13 , May 24, 2002
          I did just this thing last year in my elementary
          school. It was not only a school-wide project, but a
          community one as well. Our white, sterile elementary
          walls was in need of a makeover----bad!!! We created
          7, 8ft. by 3ft. mosaics completely from children's
          clay artwork and recyled materials. The only material
          that was purchased was the wooden panels we glued the
          artwork to; the adhesives (some was donated) and the
          grout (some was donated). The panels traveled around
          the area on display at local musuems, banks, community
          centers and the state conservation center before we
          permanently installed them a few months ago. If you
          would like more detailed information- I would be happy
          to send you a packet of the how-tos, tips etc... just
          e-mail me personally and I'll get it out as soon as I
          can. Good luck, Julie

          LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
          http://launch.yahoo.com
        • eggplant49@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 24, 2002
            I am very excited to read all of the wonderful, creative suggestions! We are becoming a grades 3-8 enitity next year... but were k-8 since time began....so, I am planning a schoolwide project to help the school spirit a little.
            I am a quilter and fabric artist/lover and I have always used quilts as schoolwide projects. For our town's 100th anniversary, I had everyone in school create a quilt block and we presented it to the town. I have done a stamped "Family Tree" quilt schoolwide. Right now I am working with the 5th grade on a friendship quilt using Wonder-Under (a fabric bonding technique). We are having bullying problems and this is a different approach to caring for one another. Returning students~ now college students and beyond~ feel such pleasure and nostalgia when they see their quilt blocks from years ago. An advantage also is the portable nature of quilts...
            Best of luck...keep the wonderful ideas coming!
            Lynn in NJ
          • Wayong@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 24, 2002
              I might be working on a mural with a small class of 4 graders next year. I want to have as much input from the kids as possible. Suggestions? I was thinking of having the kids draw pictures with selected themes, then do a larger picture together & then I would draw their picture on the wall & they would outline & color it in. Would it be realistic to have them draw directly on the wall? I would imagine it wouldn't be a cohesive, but I wouldn't want to limit them.

              Wayong
            • Wayong@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , May 24, 2002
                I'm not sure if I'll have access to an overhead projector, but thanks anyway. I'm pretty good at imitating kids' art styles. It's not till next year so I have plenty of time.
              • The Austin's
                Message 7 of 13 , May 24, 2002
                  I have found that having kids draw directly on the wall doesn't work for 2
                  reasons - 1) they aren't used to drawing vertically and 2) they aren't
                  comfortable drawing on a large scale. Have them draw their mural on a
                  transparancy and then trace it on the wall with an overhead. Also, as the
                  professional why don't you take the drawings and combine them for the
                  students. Then at least it would be balanced visually. So what if it is not
                  cohesive to the un-involved viewer - it would be cohesive in the minds of
                  the students! :-)
                  ~Michal
                  http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

                  > I might be working on a mural with a small class of 4 graders next year.
                  I want to have as much input from the kids as possible. Suggestions? I was
                  thinking of having the kids draw pictures with selected themes, then do a
                  larger picture together & then I would draw their picture on the wall & they
                  would outline & color it in. Would it be realistic to have them draw
                  directly on the wall? I would imagine it wouldn't be a cohesive, but I
                  wouldn't want to limit them.

                  > Wayong

                  ---
                • Mcarsart@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 25, 2002
                    I did a tile wall with nearly 1000 students! I purchased (with grant money)
                    4" bisque tile, and each student and staff member had the opportunity to
                    "leave their mark at Clark". We used underglazes, I fired them, and then I
                    put on a clear glaze. It's really great, documents who was in the building
                    (we did it in January of 2000) as we entered the new millennium. They still
                    stand in front of the wall and check out the tiles.
                  • Lynn Pass
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 28, 2002
                      --Hi,
                      This is Lynn (I wrote about a mural project I did with 200 kids earlier). We didn't use an overhead. The kids did their original drawings and I transferred them to the wall with tracing paper (and made sure the drawings stayed in the student's style). Then the kids came down in manageble groups to paint them, which worked out very well.
                      Lynn