Re:Student gets zero for religious drawing

  • julie
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
      last month i went to a symposium at my alma mater called On the Strange Place of Religion in Contemporary Art, based on a fascinating book by the same title by a very influential art theorist/historian from Chicago, named James Elkins, who was the keynote speaker at the conference.  in addition there were several other artists and theorists there to begin a dialogue abut the relationship between faith and contemporary art-making.  as i listened, it seemed to me that the obstacles between the two tend to come from the art world and not the Christians...it was the art world that seemed almost afraid to address Christianity...

      from the Elkins website: My concern here is the fact that serious talk about religion and spirituality is excluded from contemporary art, unless the art is in some way critical, ambivalent, or ironic, as in Andres Serrano's work. The famous counterexamples--the Rothko Chapel, Barnet Newman's religious work--only prove the case by their rarity. This book provides a brief history of the exclusion of religious discourse, and some contemporary examples of the clandestine existence of religious meaning.

      :-) julie t.
      southern california

      ‹(•¿•)›

    • wmvanhorn
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
        Re:Student gets zero for religious drawing

        Political correctedness may be carried too far sometimes but its
        purpose is about expressing beliefs that are directly hurtful to
        others. Showinng stereotypical portraits of a group of people (like
        dumb blacks, bomb-toting arabs, etc.) are proscribed, but positive
        portraits of one's own beliefs would not be.

        It can be a difficult and individual decision for the teacher on what
        to allow under free expression and what not to allow. I let one
        student use Nazi symbols in his art work because he said they
        represented evil, and the artwork was in line with this explanation.
        Another student's use of the Nazi symbol appeared more arbitrary and I
        made him erase it. Were my judgments correct? I am not 100% sure.
      • Marvin Pedigo
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
          I would say that an art teacher unlocks the creativity and that is about it. There may be some technical aspects to teaching but because true art has no rules, then the freedom of expression is key. In cases I have heard of especially in writing, the art is an outlet for a very troubled individual. The writings provided a way vent and went on to free the individual of some very dark demons. I understand in a school environment the need to put boundaries on the expression to a degree. I would simply say to a student that there are some types of art we will be studying here and some you will have to express in the privacy of your home studio. I think that being an artist, and I believe we all are, has a responsibility with it. It may be proper to teach that while in the process of learning that light objects come forward, and dark look farther away.
          Blessing,
          A hopeless artist,
          Brother Marvin

          wmvanhorn <vivalaarte@...> wrote:
          Political correctedness may be carried too far sometimes but its
          purpose is about not expressing beliefs that are directly hurtful to
          others. Showinng stereotypical portraits of a group of people (like
          dumb blacks, bomb-toting arabs, etc.) are proscribed, but positive
          portraits of one's own beliefs would not be.

          It can be a difficult and individual decision for the teacher on what
          to allow under free expression and what not to allow. I let one
          student use Nazi symbols in his art work because he said they
          represented evil, and the artwork was in line with this explanation.
          Another student's use of the Nazi symbol appeared more arbitrary and I
          made him erase it. Were my judgments correct? I am not 100% sure.

          Alpha Impressions-2155
          Love, Peace, Serenity

        • loveylemmon
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 7, 2008
            Julie,

            That sounds like an interesting conference. Thanks for sharing about
            that.

            I share your take on this issue. I went through a school for
            contemporary arts, and it was highly politically correct. It was very
            conceptual, and you had to very strongly be able to justify all
            decision making in your artworks. And it was as if many topics were off
            limits because of the pc-ness.

            My personal take on it, is that religious is religious. If anything
            about beliefs is to be encouraged in student art, then I would think
            the teacher and school would have to be quite tolerant... (not
            tolerating anything hateful, mind you...).

            abby
          • dutchbluek
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 12, 2008
              It is ridiculous to me. Like there has to be more to the story. Was
              this student in the habit of evnagelizig as he walked through the
              halls? Does he attend a school where students have a strict dress code?

              In high school, I did a 3-D piece that included Christian, Jewish,
              Hindu, and Islamic symbols in it. There was never any thought that my
              artwork adversely affected anyone.

              Currently, all of my students are completing projects for an upcoming
              artshow. Not only did I allow them personal references to family
              religion in their work, but I also shared my mother's rosary (and the
              story behind it) with them. We live in a military community, and I
              asked them to think of a family memory to illustrate or of some object
              with sentimental value. It was highly successful! An added plus is that
              we've now connected in a way that is often difficult to do in 45
              minutes a week.

              Additionally, much of the fine art in our SRA Art Connections series
              reflects religious icons and stories. One fourth grade image is of
              sketches that someone did while preparing to paint the scene of a
              saint's execution. There are no clear images of violence in these
              sketches, yet I think the kids could handle it anyway!

              Our nation's principles are muddied and have been litigated to pieces.