cracked clay mug

  • bethany_simonson
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
      One of the administrators at my school worked on a clay mug with a
      different art teacher they know (the mug is for an anniversary gift).
      The teacher had him use vinigar to smooth the clay, and had him create
      the mug by forming a slab into a cylander. He scored and sliped, and
      again, used vinigar to smooth the piece together. HOWEVER, not extra
      clay was added (like a coil) to support the joint. The mug was already
      dry (but not fired) when the administrator brought it to me, and it has
      a crack (all the way through) along the joint. He is wondering if
      there is anything that can be done to salvage the mug and I am hoping I
      can find the answer for him! (brownie points! brownie points! :)

      Any advice? Also, I am not familiar w/using vinigar to smooth
      clay...can anyone explain why this teacher had him use it?

      ALSO, I asked if he dried the clay out slowly and he said yes,
      supposidly very slowly...

      THANKS IN ADVANCE!,
      Bethany from VA
    • Jeff Pridie
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
        Bethany,

        Not a ceramics expert here but using vinigar to smooth
        it is new to me.
        If th piece has not been fired you can gradually take
        a spray bottle and bring it back to a level that wet
        clay could be added to repair it. It would have to be
        done gradually and the wet clay compatible to the damp
        surface in order for it to not crack again. It would
        have to be dried slowly in order for it not crack. I
        have done this with my elementary students who make
        mugs and then are gone a lot and the piece drys out
        and they have to add things, it has worked well.

        Jeff (Minnesota)

        > One of the administrators at my school worked on a
        > clay mug with a
        > different art teacher they know (the mug is for an
        > anniversary gift).
        > The teacher had him use vinigar to smooth the clay,
        > and had him create
        > the mug by forming a slab into a cylander. He
        > scored and sliped, and
        > again, used vinigar to smooth the piece together.
        > HOWEVER, not extra
        > clay was added (like a coil) to support the joint.
        > The mug was already
        > dry (but not fired) when the administrator brought
        > it to me, and it has
        > a crack (all the way through) along the joint. He
        > is wondering if
        > there is anything that can be done to salvage the
        > mug and I am hoping I
        > can find the answer for him! (brownie points!
        > brownie points! :)
        >
        > Any advice? Also, I am not familiar w/using vinigar
        > to smooth
        > clay...can anyone explain why this teacher had him
        > use it?
        >
        > ALSO, I asked if he dried the clay out slowly and he
        > said yes,
        > supposidly very slowly...
        >
        > THANKS IN ADVANCE!,
        > Bethany from VA

      • Michele
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
          I have used vinegar to repair dried (but not fired) clay. It reconstitutes the clay better than a spray bottle. However, it bubbles and fizzes and some clay is lost/damaged in the process.  Its great for small repairs (chips, small cracks) but for reattaching pieces I wouldn't try it. If there are two separate pieces I would fire them to bisque separately. Then use glue to put them back together. Then apply the glazes needed over the mend and hope it stays together (I have done this for handles, etc). The glue will burn out but not before the glaze starts melting and holding the piece in place. Its risky and not always successful, but the piece is a loss if you don't try to fix it anyways.
          Hope this helps
          Michele NY

        • optional
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
            The recipe for "clay glue" I believe it works for greenware and
            bisqueware - definitely greenware;
            mix equal parts vinegar and dry clay to a paste consistency, mend
            cracks and broken pieces then bisque.

            As for your description of the fabrication of the mug - not sure why
            they used vinegar at all in the first place (never heard of doing
            that) - the best method is scratch and slip - without slip the parts
            are bound to not adhere.
            Laura