Re: [art_education] Re: red balloon

  • Anna K. Ball
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 31, 2008
      oh that is a beautiful story.
      thank you for sharing it.

      anna in western sd
      grades 6-8

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 6:56 PM
      Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] [art_education] Re: red balloon

      Thinking about the Red Balloon, and  was reminded that I had written about my experiences with that particular movie and a kindergarten child in my class.      I may have shared this before...sorry if it's a repeat...but maybe someone will enjoy reading it. I enjoyed being there when it happened.

      maryann@brightring. com

      Solomon and The Red Balloon

      MaryAnn Kohl

               My kindergarten class had just watched the French film, The Red Balloon, a touching and beautifully rendered wordless children's classic. Our class was preparing for recess when Solomon Toby, a brown-eyed Native American boy, approached me requesting a private word.

               "Mrs. Kohl," he said in a whisper, "I need to draw about that movie."

               My heart rate was buzzing. "All right, Solomon," I smiled gently.  This beautiful child, Solomon with the dark eyes and hair like the feathers of a crow, rarely expressed any interest in school activities or projects of any kind, and had not bonded with me, though I had reached out to him daily. My thoughts were racing to capture this moment with Solomon, to allow it to be meaningful for him, to tread gently so that it might be a possible springboard for future opportunities for learning and communication.

               I excused the others to the playground and helped Solomon find a large fresh sheet of drawing paper and a box of unbroken crayons with the points still intact. He packed everything off to the reading corner tent to work alone.

      As he worked, I reflected on this silent child. Solomon usually chose fighting over playing, and generally lived a pretty tough life which he acted out on a daily basis. But today, The Red Balloon had touched his heart and he couldn't keep his feelings inside.

               I could see him through the entry of the tent. He was working with purpose, elbow and arm moving resolutely across the wide paper, filling it with visual expressions from his heart. He drew about the story of the Red Balloon who befriends a little boy, and about how that little boy loses his friend. He drew and drew.

               His drawing was not the blonde French child in the film; it was a brown, strong boy running on a rocky beach with a huge red smiling balloon in tow on a heavy rope, a rope that would never come untied or let a balloon break free. The clouds he drew were gray with rays of sunlight spilling out from behind. The sea breaking on the shore was choppy with two fish jumping, smiles on their silvery faces. The boy was running with a look of surprise and joy on his crayoned face. I could tell that this boy would never let his balloon go, would never lose his gentle friend.

               When the drawing was finished, I saw Solomon begin to cry. He cried silently, shoulders shaking, tears spilling down his smooth cheeks. I did not interrupt his privacy but waited nearby anxious to soothe his hurts.

      When he left his drawing in the tent and walked towards me, I knew I was being allowed a rare gift in this child’s young life. As he approached, I scrunched down to his five year old level as he threw his arms around my neck, hugging me close to him, crying quietly until the sniffling began to subside. I remember thinking, “I will make a difference to this child. We can build from this together. We’re going to make it this one year we have together. Together, we’re going to make it.”

               As the other children returned from recess, Solomon and I gathered up his drawing and supplies, but neither of us was the same. We had begun.

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
      PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
      360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
              Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children

      On Mar 31, 2008, at 5:44 PM, Kelli Wilke wrote:

      Thank you, I did find it thanks to all the help from this group and everyone in it!

      Kelli in NE

      Sue Stevens <suestevens@rogers. com> wrote:
      perhaps it is this one?

      google - Le Ballon Rouge

      which was a black and white movie, but seems to have been re-released as The Red Balloon in colour

      Good luck.

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1 9:53 AM
        I was just at the home offices of Crystal Productions in Glenview, IL over break and found a
        red balloon video (VHS). I scanned the cover to see to show you. I grabbed two copies, so if
        this is the one I could ship it to you.
        Take a peek at the cover here:
        http://tiny.cc/EGavh

        Tricia Fuglestad
      • Childers, Susan

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1 10:23 AM
            Photo clips of the child, balloon, and grandfather can be seen at these URLs, === found on Google images:

            http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/07/bikes_lyon.php
            http://www.parisgraves.com/itinerary.html

            There are lots of other images from the film at Google images, so take a look.