Re: [art_education] regarding K-6 priorities

  • Julie Casebourn
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2008

      S...
          When I first started teaching at my current school, a few teachers had requests and expectations that I wasn't willing to cooperate with because the objectives were not jiving with mine as the art teacher.  Attitudes have changed somewhat over the years with my colleagues and they are more tolerant and of work that is "outside the box" .. at least the work coming from the art room, if not in their own rooms.   But.. I have never had a teacher respond as you described to work I led the students through.  It's discouraging to be on the receiving end of that, especially when you went out of your way to help.  I agree with Ken.. politely ignore future requests for help from this teacher and shake it off.

    • Katherine
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2008
        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "beyondskyline"
        <beyondskyline@...> wrote:

        > A teacher I work with complains that her students "can't draw".

        I have found that most elementary staff have little or no training in
        child development, as relates to drawing. The work of Viktor
        Lowenfeld, Rhoda Kellogg and Betty Lark-Horowitz seems to be largely
        ignored in teacher training now. I believe that art education programs
        must be giving this essential information short shrift also, as
        evidenced by the enormous amount of art teaching that is not attuned
        to child development. Howard Gardner of Multiple Intelligences fame
        also got his publishing start (ARTFUL SCRIBBLES) studying the
        'unschooled art' of children. You can Google any of the above people
        for good references.

        As a first step with your colleague, go to Craig Roland's great
        Internet content and print it out to share with her and others:

        http://www.artjunction.org/young.php

        Then, Marvin Bartel has a Beyond Wonderful website on learning and
        teaching and drawing with young children. It is both useful and
        inspiring.

        Good luck to you. What you find and share with others is so important
        to your young students!

        kathy douglas
        K-3 Massachusetts, retired
        Teaching for Artistic Behavior
      • marcia
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2008
          I would probably explain to her that kids are at
          varying stages of drawing realistically and you can't
          expect everyone to draw wonderfully, just as you would
          not expect every child to be able to do a perfect
          layup in basketball. One or two drawing lessons is
          not going to make a child draw incredibly
          realistically. I would recommend starting with pen or
          pencil, rather than crayon. Do demonstrations, have
          handouts, a good exercise would also be to draw still
          lifes or draw other classmates. Also she needs to
          have a positive attitude and explain what she expects
          in the drawings before hand. If she merely criticizes
          the child after the fact they will get discouraged.
          Some kids will just draw stick figures unless you
          explain to them that you want your person to have
          bones and skin, you want to see the clothes they are
          wearing, the pupil of the eye, the eyebrows, and so
          forth.

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs