Re: regarding K-6 priorities

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2008
      I assume you are talking about a regular elementary classroom teacher
      coming into the room. These teachers have no art training and want
      their children to draw "pretty" pictures. Of course, anything creative
      or not done realistically is not "pretty." On Valentines Day they have
      their students do lots of hearts, on St. Patrick's Day they do lots of
      shamrocks, and on Christmas they do lots of holly. These are the same
      teachers that ask you to put aside your art lessons and have their
      students do "pretty" heart cards or the like for their classroom
      Valentines parties. What I did was ignore them. I was nice- but I
      ignored their comments because I knew they had no clue what art is.

      Ken Rohrer

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "beyondskyline"
      <beyondskyline@...> wrote:

      > A teacher I work with complains that her students "can't draw". She
      > says, like "THESE" students...,like they have 2 heads. I told her I
      > would give them the experience to draw, that I could not demand they
      > draw the head in a certain way, etc. When I worked with the class, they
      > refused to draw with one crayon. They jumped from one color to the
      > next, without much sensitivity, in my opinion. The teacher came back to
      > class, and she made a face when she looked at the work, and then had
      > another visceral reaction when I recommended that they concentrate on
      > line, not color. I'm finding her intolerable, and I was wondering if
      > anyone out there has worked with these issues, and personnel, before.

    • Julie Casebourn
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2008

        S...
            When I first started teaching at my current school, a few teachers had requests and expectations that I wasn't willing to cooperate with because the objectives were not jiving with mine as the art teacher.  Attitudes have changed somewhat over the years with my colleagues and they are more tolerant and of work that is "outside the box" .. at least the work coming from the art room, if not in their own rooms.   But.. I have never had a teacher respond as you described to work I led the students through.  It's discouraging to be on the receiving end of that, especially when you went out of your way to help.  I agree with Ken.. politely ignore future requests for help from this teacher and shake it off.

      • Katherine
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2008
          <beyondskyline@...> wrote:

          > A teacher I work with complains that her students "can't draw".

          I have found that most elementary staff have little or no training in
          child development, as relates to drawing. The work of Viktor
          Lowenfeld, Rhoda Kellogg and Betty Lark-Horowitz seems to be largely
          ignored in teacher training now. I believe that art education programs
          must be giving this essential information short shrift also, as
          evidenced by the enormous amount of art teaching that is not attuned
          to child development. Howard Gardner of Multiple Intelligences fame
          also got his publishing start (ARTFUL SCRIBBLES) studying the
          'unschooled art' of children. You can Google any of the above people
          for good references.

          As a first step with your colleague, go to Craig Roland's great
          Internet content and print it out to share with her and others:

          http://www.artjunction.org/young.php

          Then, Marvin Bartel has a Beyond Wonderful website on learning and
          teaching and drawing with young children. It is both useful and
          inspiring.

          Good luck to you. What you find and share with others is so important
          to your young students!

          kathy douglas
          K-3 Massachusetts, retired
          Teaching for Artistic Behavior
        • marcia
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2008
            I would probably explain to her that kids are at
            varying stages of drawing realistically and you can't
            expect everyone to draw wonderfully, just as you would
            not expect every child to be able to do a perfect
            layup in basketball. One or two drawing lessons is
            not going to make a child draw incredibly
            realistically. I would recommend starting with pen or
            pencil, rather than crayon. Do demonstrations, have
            handouts, a good exercise would also be to draw still
            lifes or draw other classmates. Also she needs to
            have a positive attitude and explain what she expects
            in the drawings before hand. If she merely criticizes
            the child after the fact they will get discouraged.
            Some kids will just draw stick figures unless you
            explain to them that you want your person to have
            bones and skin, you want to see the clothes they are
            wearing, the pupil of the eye, the eyebrows, and so
            forth.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs