Re:Runny glazes

  • K Olson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2008
      The information from Barbara was helpfult to me as well.

      My question is: How do I remix the jar of Amaco glaze after it settles out and leaves a really hard layer at the bottom of the jar.  Why does that happen? And how can I make it useable again?  Will putting in a blender work?

      Also, sometimes after firing, small pieces of glaze will chip off.  It's usually around the rim of a pinch pot, but sometimes off the side of a piece.  It's not just one color, but often a blue or turquoise.  We try to remind the kids to rinse the piece, have clean hands, and apply 3 coats.  What else can we do?  My kiln is only a few years old, works fine. We bisque fire at 04 and usually glaze fire at 06.

      Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
      Kathy O

    • Cyn Blamire
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2008
        Glazes can be reconstituted by mixing with a little
        water and then running the glaze through a sieve. It
        may be easier to let the glaze dry out completely and
        then reconstitute it.

        Dust may cause the glaze flaw. Bisque ware should be
        wiped off with a damp sponge to remove dust. The ware
        should be dry before glazing. The oil on our skin can
        also present a problem. Hands should be clean before
        glazing.

        Cynthia
        FL

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • boothsinarkansas
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2008
          This isn't about your glazes- but why do you bisque at 04 and glaze at
          06? I was taught that you should bisque hotter than the glaze firing so
          that if it's going to explode it will. That it's risky to glaze hotter
          than the bisque. I have always been under the impression 04 is cooler
          than 06. I fire my students pots at 06 and glaze at 05. Isn't that
          correct?
          By the way, I too have problems with some glazes. Some are OFF colored,
          especially reds and sometimes blue. I just have to throw those glazes
          away which is awfully expensive. Also, this year I bought the glazes
          powdered from the supplier, instead of pre-mixed. It took a long time
          to sieve them twice and they seperate so bad. Within minutes they are
          3/4 clear water. My high schoolers are NEVER going to mix it like they
          should. I am disapointed. My store bought small containers of glaze
          rarely if ever do this. I will never spend $80 again on powders. Plus,
          we can't be sure if the glaze/water ratio is 'thick' enough. The store
          told me to stick in my finger and if it's sticks up to my fingernail,
          like cream, it's OK. My students will never 'get' that. I hate to
          have 'mistakes' on students' art that they are counting on. I need
          glaze that is fool proof for color and thickness.

          Thanks for any comments.

          > ---------------------------------
          Search.

        • aliteachesart
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2008
            Hi,

            I made a total mind typo when I posted last time! I glaze fire at 06 aswell. My kiln
            instruction book recommends general bisque fire at 04 and glaze at 06; it has always
            worked for me (ofcourse elementary students are not picky!). Color variation in glazes can
            happen depending on the placement of the piece in the kiln, how full the kiln is, how thick
            the glaze is. If your glaze is thin I would demonstrate stirring each time you dip te brush
            in the glaze, deep to the bottom. Applying three layers of glaze, letting it dry between
            should (might) solve any coverage problems. Maybe do up some tiles with examples,
            better yet have your students do it. And keep a kiln log. Hope that helped. ALi
          • Cyn Blamire
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 8, 2008
              Cone 04 is hotter than Cone 06. When the number is
              preceded by a '0', the higher the number, the cooler
              the temperature. I don't have my cone chart in front
              of me, but 06 is about 1830 degrees, 05 is 1887, and
              04 would be about 50 degrees hotter. Cones are about
              50 degrees apart.

              If anything is going to explode in the kiln it will be
              at the temperature that the chemical water is firing
              out of your clay body. Again, I don't have my charts
              in front of me, but I think that's at about Cone 08.

              I was taught that bisque firing hotter than 06 is just
              a waste of precious energy. We were also firing glazes
              that we mixed ourselves. I teach elementary so I just
              buy my glazes. I don't have time to mix. But I fire at
              the cone the glaze manufacturer recommends and that is
              generally Cone 04. I do that to get the best results
              from the commercial glaze.

              Cynthia, BFA MFA Ceramics
              FL

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs