You Can Make Your Own Sock Dolls

  • heidi_home72
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
      You can make some dolls out of socks. That's right! First visit, http://www.amonco.org
      Scroll down until you see the info about the March, 2008 drawing. Click on the Sockdoll
      and Sockdoll1 hyperlinks. There you will find concise instructions on how to make your
      own sock doll.

      Topics include:

      MAKING THE BODY OF THE DOLL
      MAKING THE FACE OF THE DOLL
      STUFFING TIPS
      TIPS FOR BUYING THE MATERIALS
      MAKING THE CLOTHES

      This doll can be created for various purposes. The doll makes an interesting sensorial
      exercise, as children learn about combining colors and textures. Drawing, painting and
      sewing skills are also refined.

      Make a vest and introduce practical lilfe lacing and buttoning presentations. Math
      applications include practice with fractions and estimating the cost of fabrics, socks,
      ribbons, etc.

      Enjoy!

      Heidi
    • puttly4
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2008
        Seeing this reminded me of John Murphy's great book about making Sock
        Creatures. I bought one for my daughter this year and we were both
        hooked. There are no socks left.
        Here is a page with his creations. You do not need to buy anything to
        visit the site. They are inspiring and a great idea for creating in
        art classes.
        http://www.stupidcreatures.com/gallery.html
        Also, my school art site address has changed because of domain
        problems:
        http://www.gateofheavenschool.net/artroom_main_page.htm
      • heidi_home72
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2008
          The sock dolls that you see at
          http://www.amonco.org/sockdoll1.pdf and http://www.amonco.org/sockdoll.pdf were
          made by my mother. She has suffered from severe colitis and osteoporosis since 1999
          and spends most of her time in bed.

          She has been in and out of hospice since 2005. For the last four months, to the surprise
          of her physicians, she has been feeling somewhat better. She is still pretty much
          bedridden, so when she is up and sitting at the table, I encouraged her to start making
          sock dolls once again.

          Last January, she suffered another stroke which left her with temporary aphasia. It's
          remarkable that now, fourteen months later, she has recovered about 90% of her speech
          and can sit and make these dolls.

          I hope that many on this list enjoy the free information about the sock dolls.

          Blessings to all,

          Heidi
          http://www.amonco.org

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "puttly4" <putnamfamilysouthboston@...>