Re:Student taught lessons-collaborating elem. & high school

  • Dodi Schwab
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2008
      I've wanted to do this for years!  I have a good friend who teaches 3rd grade, and I teach high school art.  In ninth grade, we are finished up a cartooning/comic strip project.  Since a few students finished before the rest of the class, I wanted to extend their cartooning skills.  I came up with a choice of 2 projects for them to work on.  One is to produce a rebus-type story (similar to those in Highlights magazine) using topics from social studies and science that my friend (3rd grade teacher) supplied.  They made small drawings to insert into a story typed out on the computer.  A few students started these yesterday--they are a big hit.  They like the idea that the third grade will actually use them in class.  The other choice (which no one selected) was to create a board game related to the same science and social studies concepts.  I had simple board game examples and rebus-story examples to inspire them.

      Not exactly the kind of collaboration you describe--but it's a start!
      Dodi