I'm going to NAEA in New Orleans!

  • aburison
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 24, 2008
      Hello Everyone,

      I am so excited!!! I wrote up and was awarded a grant that will pay
      about half of my trip! I have never gone the National Conference
      before and was wondering what to expect, plan for, etc.

      I'm teaching at a low paying Catholic school (love the job, the kids,
      the parents, but money has never been tighter) and what the grant
      doesn't cover is coming out of my already stretched pockets so if
      anyone that has gone to previous NAEA conferences or familiar with New
      Orleans has any money saving tips I would be so grateful.

      Thanks, Amy
    • Amy Broady
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 26, 2008
        Hello, Amy, from another Amy, :-)

        I have no advice for saving money, but I do have a few convention tips
        that were given to me, and that I found to be quite helpful.

        I tend to be long-winded (long-keyboarded?), so bear with me.

        First: bring a bunch of pre-printed address labels with all of your
        contact info...it will save you lots of time when filling out raffle
        cards and vendor info request sheets. The pre-printed labels are also
        great for exchanging contact info with the other art teachers you
        connect with at the convention.

        Bring a poster tube to protect the posters you collect from vendors. I
        love all the posters we get to take home from the convention!

        If you have (or can borrow or otherwise obtain) a fancy-schmancy ID
        badge holder, bring it. I have one from my school that will allow me to
        wear my badge around my neck (I hate pinning on name badges!), and
        features a pocket for holding business cards and a pen or pencil.

        Obvious, but worth including: wear comfortable shoes and dress in
        layers to accommodate temperature fluctuations among the presentation
        rooms--sometimes they get overcrowded and are too hot; sometimes the
        air conditioning makes for arctic conditions.

        Pack as little as you can in large luggage pieces so you can lug
        everything home! Or, plan to send a box of stuff home via the business
        services offered by the hotel (usually UPS).

        Peruse the convention preliminary schedule ahead of time, and highlight
        the sessions of most interest to you. Once you get to the actual
        convention, the options are overwhelming! And accept the fact that you
        won't be able to do everything you want--it's impossible. There are too
        many options! You will have to make choices. And sometimes you might
        miss a few hours of sessions because you choose to rest, eat a meal
        (ideally with new friends), or visit an area museum. All three are
        important and beneficial! (Rest, meals, and taking in the museums.)
        They are part of the convention experience, too.

        Plan to spend a good amount of time at the vendors--they are there to
        educate you about their products. They offer wonderful "freebies" and
        many have hands-on product demos and quick projects. If there are
        products or art resources you have questions about, this is the time
        and these are the people to ask! If there are any items you are
        planning to order, vendors often offer special deals and give discounts
        for orders placed at the convention.

        Bring a digital camera, and plenty of space on a memory card (or two)!
        But ask before taking photos (i.e. of art projects), if there's any
        question of whether or not it's permissable.

        Before my first convention I mentioned to an online teacher group that
        I was thinking of buying bringing a rolling backpack to bring, and
        someone kindly discouraged me, pointing out that in crowded rooms, they
        can get in the way. Once I got to the convention, I saw what they
        meant. A good tote bag is a must, but not one with wheels that you drag
        behind you.

        Finally, if you keep seeing someone at nearly all the sessions you
        attend, introduce yourself! Based on your session selection, you have
        similar teaching interests/goals, and perhaps you'll begin a valuable
        friendship. Everyone is at the convention to immerse themselves in our
        profession and mingle with peers, who happen to be some of the most
        friendly, kind, encouraging, inspiring, and creative individuals one
        could hope to meet.

        Have a safe trip...and maybe I'll see you there!
        Amy in TN
      • Rivka Kehaty
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 27, 2008
          Dear Amy,

          Just wanted to say that your convention post was fantastic!!  Extremely helpful with tips I never would have thought of!

          I would love to go to the convention but it is SOLD OUT.  Waah.

          Thanks again,
          Rivka

        • Julie Casebourn
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 27, 2008

            Hello all,
               I'm on a quest to find a video or dvd on Alexander Calder.  I've checked the usual places of Amazon, Half.com and other internet sites, with no luck.  Any suggestions on where to search or if anyone has a video or DVD on him I would be willing to buy it.  Thanks.

          • MaryAnn Kohl
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 27, 2008
              Have you tried PBS on the Internet? They have a whole bunch of masters videos...not sure if they have Calder. Worth checking out who they DO have.

              . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
              MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
              PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
              360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
              . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
              23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
                      Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children

              On Feb 27, 2008, at 7:48 AM, Julie Casebourn wrote:

              Hello all,
                 I'm on a quest to find a video or dvd on Alexander Calder.  I've checked the usual places of Amazon, Half.com and other internet sites, with no luck.  Any suggestions on where to search or if anyone has a video or DVD on him I would be willing to buy it.  Thanks.

              Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

            • Julie Casebourn

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 27, 2008
                  There is an excellent dvd on Calder. It includes footage of him "performing" his circus in his Paris apartment. After showing it we made wire sculpture and the kids loved it. I think I got it from a library but don't really remember. You could try netflix. You could also ask your librarian if they can get it from another library.

                  Michael Robinson
                  Art Teacher
                  Woodcrest Elementary
                  Paine Elementary
                  856 429 2058 x8231

                  ________________________________

                  MaryAnn Kohl <maryann@...> wrote:

                  Have you tried PBS on the Internet? They have a whole bunch of masters videos...not sure if they have Calder. Worth checking out who they DO have.

                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                  MaryAnn Kohl - author of art books for teachers and children
                  PO Box 31338 * Bellingham, WA 98228
                  360 592 9201 office * 800 480 4278 * 360 592 4503 fax
                  maryann@... <mailto:maryann@...> * http://www.brightring.com <http://www.brightring.com/>
                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                  23rd Anniversary 1985 - 2008
                  Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children

                  On Feb 27, 2008, at 7:48 AM, Julie Casebourn wrote:

                  Hello all,
                  I'm on a quest to find a video or dvd on Alexander Calder. I've checked the usual places of Amazon, Half.com and other internet sites, with no luck. Any suggestions on where to search or if anyone has a video or DVD on him I would be willing to buy it. Thanks.

                  ________________________________

                  Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51438/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs>

                  ________________________________

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>
                • draw.art
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 27, 2008
                    Julie,
                    Did someone mention the great little videos on YOUTUBE of Calder and his Circus?
                    Barbara

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 27, 2008
                      No they didn't, but funny you should mention that.. my tech coordinator at my school suggested that about 30 minutes ago to me.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 27, 2008
                        I got one (video) from the National Gallery of Art
                        lending program about 10 years ago, but still use it.
                        It has alot of him talking, views of his work and scenes
                        from the moving circus.

                        Donna

                        On Wednesday, February 27, 2008, at 10:48 AM, Julie Casebourn wrote:

                        > Hello all,
                        >    I'm on a quest to find a video or dvd on Alexander Calder.  I've
                        > checked the usual places of Amazon, Half.com and other internet sites,
                        > with no luck.  Any suggestions on where to search or if anyone has a
                        > video or DVD on him I would be willing to buy it.  Thanks.

                        <image.tiff>

                      • Leah Korican
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 27, 2008
                          I use this one http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Calder-American-Masters-Sherman/dp/B0001DCR02 but I see it's no longer in stock. I bet you can find it used somewhere or rent it. It's really good and my 5th-8th grade students really like it.

                          Leah

                          >I got one (video) from the National Gallery of Art
                          >lending program about 10 years ago, but still use it.
                          >It has alot of him talking, views of his work and scenes
                          >from the moving circus.
                          >
                          >Donna
                          >

                          >On Wednesday, February 27, 2008, at 10:48 AM, Julie Casebourn wrote:
                          >

                          >> Hello all,
                          >> I'm on a quest to find a video or dvd on Alexander Calder. I've
                          >> checked the usual places of Amazon, Half.com and other internet sites,
                          >> with no luck. Any suggestions on where to search or if anyone has a
                          >> video or DVD on him I would be willing to buy it. Thanks.
                          >>

                          ><image.tiff>
                          >>
                          >> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

                        • Harold Olejarz
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 27, 2008
                            I used to show this video of Calder performing his circus:

                            http://www.roland-collection.com/rolandcollection/section/25/621.htm

                            Calder's Circus

                            Alexander Calder's fascination with the circus began in his mid-twenties, when he published illustrations in a New York journal of Barnum and Bailey's Circus, for which he held a year's pass. It was in Paris in 1927 that he created the miniature circus celebrated in this film - tiny wire performers, ingeniously articulated to walk tightropes, dance, lift weights, and engage in acrobatics in the ring. The Parisian avant-garde would gather in Calder's studio to see the circus in operation. It was, as critic James Johnson Sweeney noted, `a laboratory in which some of the most original features of his later work were to be developed.' This film exudes the great personal charm of Calder himself, moving and working the tiny players like a ringmaster, while his wife winds up the gramophone in the background. The Circus is now housed at the Whitney Museum in New York.

                            Harold

                            --
                            Harold

                            Harold Olejarz
                            Art/Tech Teacher
                            Technology Coordinator
                            Wyckoff, NJ
                            Google Certified Teacher
                            Personal Website - www.digitalharold.com
                            School Website - http://www.wyckoffschools.org/eisenhower/teachers/olejarz/index.html

                            "When he was younger, Ian had assumed that as you got older things became clear. Adults had seemed so sure, so knowledgeable, not just about facts and figures but about the big questions: the difference between right and wrong; what was true and what wasn't; what life was all about. He'd assumed that you went to school because you had to learn things, starting off with the easy stuff and moving on to bigger issues, once you'd learned them that was it, the way ahead opened up and thereafter life was simple and straightforward.

                            What a joke. The older he got the more complicated and obscure everything became. He understood nothing anymore - nothing and nobody, including himself."

                            The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson
                          • Amy Broady
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 27, 2008
                              SOLD OUT?! Rivka, that's just the Hilton! The convention itself
                              doesn't sell out! They just run out of rooms at the convention rate.
                              Many teachers will stay at other hotels.

                              ...Well, I guess the hands-on workshops do fill up. Maybe you were
                              referring to that. But you don't need the hands-on workshops to have
                              a fabulous/worthwhile time (besides, those hands-on workshops cost
                              $30 a piece).

                              Are you really wanting to go? I am about to cancel a room at the
                              Hilton, actually, because I ended up making arrangements to room with
                              someone from my district who also had booked a room.

                              I encourage you to try to go, if you can. It's an amazing experience.
                              Email me if you want me to look into transfering my reservation.

                              Amy in TN
                              abroady@...

                              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Rivka Kehaty <rivkakehaty@...>
                              wrote:

                              "I would love to go to the convention but it is SOLD OUT. Waah."
                            • adriennespeer
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 28, 2008
                                There is one on UnitedStreaming.com that comes with a teacher's guide.
                                Ask your librarian if you have an account.

                                Adrienne S.

                                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Julie Casebourn <juliecas@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Hello all,
                                > I'm on a quest to find a video or dvd on Alexander Calder.
                                I've checked the usual places of Amazon, Half.com and other internet
                                sites, with no luck. Any suggestions on where to search or if anyone
                                has a video or DVD on him I would be willing to buy it. Thanks.

                                > ---------------------------------

                              • Julie Casebourn
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 28, 2008
                                  Thanks all for the suggestions on finding Calder resources.  Much is "out of stock" or no longer available but I am pursuing a few of the ideas presented here on our listserve.  Muchas Gracias for everyone that chimed in with an idea, I appreciate it for future resources I might be hunting for too.  Julie

                                  wrote:

                                  > Hello all,
                                  > I'm on a quest to find a video or dvd on Alexander Calder.
                                  I've checked the usual places of Amazon, Half.com and other internet
                                  sites, with no luck. Any suggestions on where to search or if anyone
                                  has a video or DVD on him I would be willing to buy it. Thanks.

                                  > ------------ --------- --------- ---

                                • Amy Broady
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 1, 2008
                                    Today is the last day for online registration for the NAEA conventon.

                                    I just checked on the NAEA website…early bird discounted registration
                                    ended February 15. Online registration at the normal price ($179 for
                                    an active member) ends TODAY. After today, you will not be able to pre-
                                    register, but you can register on-site the day the convention begins
                                    (March 25).

                                    The first year I went I missed the deadline and had to register there.
                                    No big deal. So if you miss the online opportunity, don't let it keep
                                    you from going if you can.

                                    But if you want to register ahead of time, and you haven't yet...now's
                                    your last chance.

                                    New Orleans, here I come!
                                    I hope to see YOU there!
                                    Amy in TN