Group projects for year book?

  • mccauley_misty
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2008
      I have been asked/demanded to work with fifth grade on a 2D project
      that will be used to decorate the cover of their year book. My
      principal (who is new and came charging in like an elephant with a
      spear in her butt) has decided that it should be a project that all
      students in the class work on. She "suggested' that one start an image
      and then it moves along to the next student, with each student adding
      their own creativity to the work. While I think this is a great idea,
      I can't decide what media to use, or the subject of our work. Our
      mascot is a lion, but am afraid that 25 kids adding to one lion will
      look crazy. I thought about each kid drawing their own lion and then
      reducing them all to fit on one page, like a collage. It doesn't have
      to be our mascot, just an idea. Do you all have any ideas of a good
      medium or topic? any examples of artists who work together to create
      one work of art? Thanks for ANY ideas or suggestions, you are my life
      line to sanity.
      Misty
    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2008
        Hi Misty,

        I have done class murals in the past that have been quite cute. Maybe
        the school or playground with students contributing to the
        architecture and/or a self portrait. If you take a photo you can
        reduce it down (and in that case why not add some collage elements- or
        collage a lion together and take a photo of it; or use magazine
        montage to create the lion?). If you only have black and white to work
        with you could draw a lion an have the kids each fill in an area with
        a different texture. Hope one of these mediocre ideas sparks something
        worthwhile! ALi
      • Lenny Sanz
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2008
          Wasn't it on this group that I found an idea for MLK day that could
          apply to your lion idea? It was a drawing of MLK and all the students
          wrote their names to create lines and shadows in the drawing.
          You could start out large and then reduce it down for your cover.
          Just an idea.

          Donna

          On Wednesday, February 13, 2008, at 12:04 PM, mccauley_misty wrote:

          > I have been asked/demanded to work with fifth grade on a 2D project
          > that will be used to decorate the cover of their year book. My
          > principal (who is new and came charging in like an elephant with a
          > spear in her butt) has decided that it should be a project that all
          > students in the class work on. She "suggested' that one start an image
          > and then it moves along to the next student, with each student adding
          > their own creativity to the work. While I think this is a great idea,
          > I can't decide what media to use, or the subject of our work. Our
          > mascot is a lion, but am afraid that 25 kids adding to one lion will
          > look crazy. I thought about each kid drawing their own lion and then
          > reducing them all to fit on one page, like a collage. It doesn't have
          > to be our mascot, just an idea. Do you all have any ideas of a good
          > medium or topic? any examples of artists who work together to create
          > one work of art? Thanks for ANY ideas or suggestions, you are my life
          > line to sanity.
          > Misty

        • Eugenia Hess
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2008
            I work on the cover of the yearbook with my fifth graders.  Because it must be a black and white image, I limit it to only Sharpie marker.  Each child makes a drawing, teachers choose the winning image which is then sent to the publisher.  We have been doing this for years.  The problem for kids is creating a drawing that will please the teachers who will often veto a fabulous work because "last year's cover had the same picture".

            Jeannie in PA, k - 5

          • eduk8r2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
              I give my fifth and sixth grade students lessons in Adobe Photo Shop Elements. (I have used 2.0 but now have 6.0 for them to work with) This way they can change their scanned images (that they have drawn themselves) in countless ways.  This has been great for offering a great variety in the type of artwork that is submitted for such publications.  If you have access to this wonderful program I highly recommend it to "shake up" the look of that year book cover.

              Diane