Making elements meaningful to pre-school

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      Marcia marcia73@... wrote:

      > I am looking for Preschool Activity Ideas to teach
      > young children an appreciation for the elements of
      > design. Any Ideas? I would also be interested in
      > anyone's insight on how to educate parents and
      > co-workers on the value of art with young children,
      > and the value of learning the elements of design in
      > a preschool setting.

      > Marcia

      Hi Marcia,

      I know you and I are on the same wavelength here. I am
      posting your question to Getty list and Art Education,
      too. I have talked about this with folks - but mainly
      off list. I don't have my posts on this machine.
      The elements must be made meaninginful to the wee
      ones. That will make the job of the elementary art
      teacher so much easier. For line, take them on a "line
      hunt" - really ham it up. Even get a pithe helmet. For
      colors - have them act them out. How they make them
      feel, etc - what kind of sounds?. For shapes - have
      them hunt for shapes - then move their bodies to form
      shapes. Make shapes hats (see Jeryl Hollingsworth's
      site for her K hats -
      http://www.anderson4.k12.sc.us/schools/les/art.htm).
      They will wear their shapes hats all day! Get them
      singing fun little songs about line- shape - color
      etc.
      The more you can involve movement the better. Learning
      the language of art is like learning any kind of
      language. If they learn it while they are young, they
      will never forget it. Read books about the elements
      and design an activity. Tammi posted Cat's Colors
      (students collected color samples from magazines -
      then glued on an orange and black stripe cat).

      Folks - post your ideas on how to make the elements
      and principles meaningful to pre-school and I will
      compile for Early Childhood lesson plan page.

      Judy

      =====
      Judith Decker
      Incredible Art Department