Re: Elementary Videos on Artists

  • Amy Broady
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
      Congratulations! It feels great to have some financial resources to
      enrich your curriculum, doesn't it?!

      Last week I watched a well-done documentary video on Maya Lin
      called "A Strong Clear Vision."

      It's not directed at children, but I found it to be fine for my two
      children, ages 7 and 9. The 7-year old was certainly not as
      interested, but he did stick around to watch it. We checked the video
      out of the public library to supplement the Maya Lin biographies my 9-
      year-old (4th grade)is reading for a project. My daughter was very,
      very interested in the video and watched with great fascination and
      reverence.

      The documentary features not only the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial (and
      it covers that very thoroughly), but also the Juniata College Peace
      Chapel, the Civil Rights Memorial in Montgomery, Alabama, the Women's
      Table at Yale University, and a few others, as well. The video really
      impresses upon the viewer that Maya Lin's art goes beyond visual
      aesthetics. It lets you learn about the artworks from the artist
      herself.

      It is about an hour and a half, but could be watched in segments. If
      I were to purchase the video, I'd be purchasng it for students no
      younger than 4th grade, though probably more for 5th grade and older.
      It's a serious video--not the usual "edutainment" that students are
      used to. I think it would be great for serious young art students.

      Amy in TN
    • Anna K. Ball
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
        Amazon.com I believe has international orders...or maybe there is an Amazon India?

        anna

        western sd

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
          Crystal Productions has a ton of resources as far as
          videos and art posters go. You can also order videos
          through your art supply catalogs (Dick Blick, Sax,
          etc.). I know Dick Blick has a very good website for
          online ordering. I hope this helps on where to get
          some of these videos.

          Thank you so much for everyone's suggestions on
          videos. You've given me a lot of "out of the box"
          ideas on videos that I will be checking out before I
          place an order. It sounds like a lot of teachers like
          the "World's Greatest Artists" series too.

          Thanks again,
          Amy in Florida

          "Fine Art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart of man go together."
          -John Ruskin

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?