Re: [art_education] Need ideas for papier mache project

  • kathie omalley
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2008
      How about pressing the pulp into cookie cutter
      shapes (or free form their own) and embellish to make
      pins? If you can get old necklaces from a thrift
      store students could embed the loose beads into the
      pulp. When dry they could add shimmer with metallic
      paints and glitter glue. Glue pin backs on to
      complete them. --Maybe heart shaped for valentines?
      I do this with scrap const. paper I have torn into
      small pieces, soaked in water, and tossed into a
      blender. I'll put out several buckets of different
      colors out for students to go to town with it.
      On a larger scale, think pulp pressed flat to form
      people or animals. About one foot tall. To form a
      head; Students form a geometric shape for the head.
      Next, add a neck and shoulders. Then add shapes for
      hair sticking up and out. Students can press objects
      into the flat pulp to create texture and create the
      facial features. When dry add paint and highlight
      features with a thin sharpie marker. A friend just
      showed me some two nights ago! They were created with
      an artist that came and worked with her students.
      ...Not sure what to do about the mold... Kathie.

      --- adrienne speer <adriennespeer@...> wrote:

      > When cleaning out the art supply closet, I came
      > across several huge bags of instant papier mache. I
      > mixed some up and poured into a mask mold (about 1/2
      > to 3/4" thick). As it dried, purple and brown spots
      > have appeared and now mold is growing from it. I
      > have never used the instant papier mache before.
      > Does anyone have any tips to keep away mold? Or any
      > other projects besides mask making?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Adrienne

      > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping