Re: Dustless Chalk

  • Amy Broady
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
      Cynthia,

      How about having the students apply soft pastels by rubbing them into
      the surface of the paper with cotton balls?

      They could use paper for stencils...stencils of negative shapes and
      positive shapes...or they could cut or tear interesting edges on
      strips of paper that they would apply the chalks directly to, and
      then wipe the chalks onto the main paper using a cotton ball or
      tissue. This is the idea behind a Georgia-O'Keefe-inspired pueblo
      project I have seen in many sources...I think the technique has lots
      of potential beyond the pueblo imagery, and now that it has been
      refreshed in my mind, I look forward to demonstrating it to my
      students and seeing what they come up with!

      One advantage of the cotton-ball application of the soft pastels is
      that it presses the powder into the paper fibers (You have to
      emphasis this to the students, though, so that they really try to
      work the color into the paper, not just wipe it onto the surface), so
      the result is not as messy, though the process itself still is.

      As for dipping the chalks into tempera--thanks for the suggestion,
      Kathy O! I will have to try this one. I have done something similar,
      but not using chalks. My students dipped oil pastels into tempera to
      create textured strokes that are outlined with the tempera. Looks
      very cool, but results in a textured piece, not a good surface for
      stamping patterns. I guess the amount of texture would be determined
      by the thickness of the tempera.

      Cyntia, I'd love to see how this project turns out. What age group is
      doing this? Are your students creating the stamps or using stamps you
      have on hand? Inquiring minds want to know...like me!

      Best wishes,
      Amy in TN