summer ceramics class

  • evanstruesdell
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      Thanks to everyone for the never-ending stream of ideas on this list.
      It has helped me a great deal as a teacher. I will admit to being
      more of a lurker than anything else. But someone may recall my last
      call for help when I was applying to receive a SmartBoard. Well, I
      got it! The funny thing is, even though I got the SmartBoard last
      year at about this time, I didn't get everything I needed to hook it
      up until LAST WEEK. Now, I have been using it and I can't believe how
      great it really is.

      I am looking for a summer class in ceramics with college credit for a
      non-degree student. I am a beginner and haven't thrown pots on a
      wheel before. I am hoping to find one of those intensive two-week
      summer camp style situations as my time is limited. (I teach at an
      American Base in Turkey, and will need to be back here in time for
      school.) Does anyone know about any classes that would fit this
      description?

      Thanks again,

      Robin Evans
      Elementary Art Teacher (DoDDS)
    • Linda
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2008
        Hi,
           I have been to Arrowmont School of Crafts in Gatlinburg, Tn. where I studied raku pottery for graduate degree college credit over a two week period.  In another year at Arrowmont, I studied watercolor for credit.  I have also been to Penland School of Crafts in Penland, NC, where I studied clay for college credit.  I have visited Haystack Mountain School of Crafts in Maine while on vacation there.  Oh my. You would LOVE any of these experiences.  You get to totally immerse yourself in your class as many hours a day as you wish or need.  You also get to meet some wonderful people and have fun exploring the area with some of your new friends.  Get their catalogues NOW, as people are already enrolling by mail.  You can probably go online for their brochures.  Penland has (or had) a work study grant that you could take part in if you wanted a reduced rate for your class.  The camaraderie amongst the group you work with 3 hours a day is just one more extension of fun, or at least it was for  me.  Arrowmont awards full scholarships through Pi Beta Phi sorority.  I received two of these, and I was NOT a Pi Phi.  They look for outstanding community service to recognize through these scholarships.  The first year, my plane fare, scholarship, room and board were all paid for.  I felt like queen for a day.  The second time, only the scholarship and room and board were paid for.  But even if you pay full price, the atmosphere, professors that are there, and the new friends you make in such a scenic place is an absolute bargain.  I might add that the FOOD is superb in both places.  My next stop will be Haystack some day.  Such beauty.  The classrooms are all in long glass fronted weathered cedar buildings that terrace down a forested hillside to the ocean.  There is a wide staircase in between the classroom buildings that students sit out on on pretty days to work.  The food there looked great as well.  The combination of the scent of sea air and forest was divine.  Just pick one and you won't regret it!!!
        Linda from Houston

        Linda
      • Anna K. Ball
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2008
          I don't know if college credit is available but if you or anyone wants a fun and excellent learning experience, weekend to a week and a half duration, try John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown North Carolina, about an hour or so north of Atlanta.
          You have master class instructors, incredible food, camaraderie, and  its not that expensive.
          http://www.folkschool.org/index.php  Their classes also fill up quickly.

          I went once (with my whole family--what a blast) and am trying to get back again.  (It's a looong drive from south dakota)

          cheers,
          anna in western sd