after school art room...

  • Jessica
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hi all,

      In light of recent events in my school- I'm trying to set up
      expectations for students who hang out in the art room after school.
      To give you a little background- I teach in South Korea at an American
      school that has a Christian background. It's a relatively safe school
      (for the most part a student can lose a wallet and get it back the
      next day- nothing missing), and students are welcome and encouraged to
      hang out after school. School gets out at 3, and there is a late bus
      at 5:10, which many students take. I teach in the mornings at the
      high school, and afternoons at the middle school and find it hard to
      make it back to the high school after school gets out.

      Because of that, the other high school art teacher tends to watch over
      the kids from 3-4pm. After 4, he leaves and kids are still in the
      room (but he leaves anyway). I haven't said much because I know I
      haven't been as present in the art room as I should be. This past
      week, he had a sub and (to make a long story short) a laptop from the
      art room has now gone missing. This has given me a wake up call, and
      I will be in the high school more often and I would like to lay out
      some rules.

      Do any of you have any expectations (beyond the "no students in the
      room without a teacher") for after school art? It's just a free time
      for the students and I want them to continue to come in and work- but
      I can't be there every day to watch over them. Our other problem lies
      in the fact that the cleaning people store all of their stuff in our
      art room, and leave the door open while they are cleaning (usually
      after 4)- so we can't simply lock the door when we leave.

      So frustrating!
      jessica
    • kamla ravikumar
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2008
        Hello Jessica,

        I am writing from India where 60% of the population in smaller towns, is still in an economically backward state both economically and academically.

        Owning a laptop is still considered a very big luxury in my country.Only in the big cities you see software engineers and executives with laptops.

        Schools here are still using a desktop.
        In my opinion if the art teacher is going to leave a laptop lying around either she/he requests someone to take care of it while she is away or keep it locked in the school locker.
        No one can be blamed for our carelessness.

        Here schools do not encourage students to stay after school hours for fear of child abuse.Only the senior school students who have learning difficulties can consult teachers after school hours but all must leave when the last bus leaves.
        I think no student must be allowed to enter physics/chemistry laboratories or art rooms without a teacher being there.

        Kamla
        India.

      • Stephanie Cavallaro
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2008
          It is very simple. You just have to be there!
          And secure all valuables!

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        • Marcia
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2008
            Sorry you had your laptop stolen. Unfortunately theft and violence
            can occur anywhere.. even in a Christian school. I would immediately
            talk to the other art teacher and insist that no children be allowed
            in the room without one of the 2 art teachers present. (I'm surprised
            that's not a school rule). If there happens to be a sub, then
            unfortunately after school art will be canceled. Finally, get a
            locked closet where you can lock up anything of value or that may be
            used as a weapon (xacto knives, etc.).

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jessica" <kermit_al@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > In light of recent events in my school- I'm trying to set up
            > expectations for students who hang out in the art room after school.
            > To give you a little background- I teach in South Korea at an American
            > school that has a Christian background. It's a relatively safe school
            > (for the most part a student can lose a wallet and get it back the
            > next day- nothing missing), and students are welcome and encouraged to
            > hang out after school. School gets out at 3, and there is a late bus
            > at 5:10, which many students take. I teach in the mornings at the
            > high school, and afternoons at the middle school and find it hard to
            > make it back to the high school after school gets out.
            >
            > Because of that, the other high school art teacher tends to watch over
            > the kids from 3-4pm. After 4, he leaves and kids are still in the
            > room (but he leaves anyway). I haven't said much because I know I
            > haven't been as present in the art room as I should be. This past
            > week, he had a sub and (to make a long story short) a laptop from the
            > art room has now gone missing. This has given me a wake up call, and
            > I will be in the high school more often and I would like to lay out
            > some rules.
            >
            > Do any of you have any expectations (beyond the "no students in the
            > room without a teacher") for after school art? It's just a free time
            > for the students and I want them to continue to come in and work- but
            > I can't be there every day to watch over them. Our other problem lies
            > in the fact that the cleaning people store all of their stuff in our
            > art room, and leave the door open while they are cleaning (usually
            > after 4)- so we can't simply lock the door when we leave.
            >
            > So frustrating!
            > jessica

          • aliteachesart
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2008
              Too bad about the lap top- maybe offer a reward for information. Did you file a police
              report? Tell the students you will and maybe it will turn up. If you make it a point to have
              open studio two or three days a week until 5:10, your colleague should lock up when he
              leaves at 4. Also a sign in sheet would make students accountable when supplies go
              missing. I am sure other things are going that are less noticable. If they complain- hey its
              an consequence for someone's blatant dishonesty. I hope your laptop returns! Ali