Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [art_education] American artists for a book

Expand Messages
  • MaryAnn Kohl
    Thank you!! My comments are beside each person On Feb 1, 2008, at 4:18 PM, Jenifer Weiss wrote: Do you have.... Wayne Thiebaud? YES Faith Ringgold? YES Calder
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      Thank you!! My comments are beside each person

      On Feb 1, 2008, at 4:18 PM, Jenifer Weiss wrote:
      Do you have....

      Wayne Thiebaud? YES

      Faith Ringgold? YES

      Calder YES 

      Romare Bearden? YES

      Lio Lionni? NO already covered him in a book on children's book illustrators

      Denise Fleming NO - already covered her in a book on children's book illustrator

      Molly Bang NO already covered her in a book on children's book illustrators

      David Macaulay? NO will check

      Annie Albers NO - will check

      Allen Say NO will check
       

       
        This is who I have: 

      Adams, Ansel 02/20/1902 – 04/22/1984
      Asawa, Ruth 01/24/1926 –
      Audubon, John James04/26/1785 – 01/27/1851
      Bearden, Romare 09/02/1911 – 03/11/1988
      Bellows, George 08/12/1882 – 01/08/1925
      Benton, Thomas Hart04/15/1889 – 01/19/1975
      Biederman, Charles 08/23/1906 – 2004
      Borglum, Gutzon 03/25/1867 – 03/06/1941
      Buchanan, Beverly 10/08/1940 –
      Calder, Alexander 07/22/1898 – 11/11/1976
      Cassatt, Mary 05/22/1844 – 06/14/1926
      Catlett, Elizabeth 04/19/1919 –
      Chihuly, Dale 09/20/1941 –
      Close, Chuck 07/05/1940 –
      Cooney, Barbara 08/06/1917 – 03/10/2000 
      Copley, John S. 07/03/1738 – 09/09/1815
      Cornell, Joseph 12/24/1903 – 12/29/1972
      Currier, Nathaniel 03/27/1813 – 11/20/1888
      De Forest, Roy 02/11/1930 – 05/18/2007
      De Kooning, Willem 04/24/1904 – 03/19/1997
      Demuth, Charles 11/09/1883 – 10/23/1935
      Diebenkorn, Richard 04/22/1922 – 03/30/1993
      Dine, Jim 06/16/1935 –
      Disney, Walt 12/05/1901 – 12/15/1966
      Doolittle, Bev 01/10/1947 –
      Fish, Janet 05/18/1938 –
      Frankenthaler, Helen 12/12/1928 – 2002
      Fuller, Buckminster 07/12/1895 – 07/01/1983
      Geisel, Theodor 03/02/1904 – 09/24/1991
      Goldberg, Rube 07/04/1883 – 12/07/1970
      Haring, Keith 05/04/1958 – 02/16/1990
      Hicks, Edward 04/04/1780 – 08/23/1849
      Hofmann, Hans 03/21/1880 – 02/17/1966
      Hopper, Edward 07/22/1882 – 05/15/1967
      Indiana, Robert 09/13/1928 –
      Ives, James 03/05/1824 – 01/03/1895
      James, Jewell 02/03/1953 –
      Jefferson, Thomas 04/13/1743 – 07/04/1826
      Johns, Jasper 05/15/1930 –
      Kahn, Wolf 10/04/1927 –
      Lichtenstein, Roy 10/27/1923 – 09/29/1997
      Lin, Maya 10/05/1959 –
      Magee, Alan 05/26/1947 –
      Martin, Agnes 03/22/1912 – 12/16/2004
      Martinez, Maria 1884 – 1980
      Moses, Grandma 09/07/1860 – 12/13/1961
      Neiman, Leroy 06/08/1922 –
      O’Keeffe, Georgia 11/15/1887 – 03/06/1986
      Oldenburg, Claes 01/28/1929 –
      and Van Bruggen, Coosje 06/06/1942 –
      Osorio, Pepón 06/10/1955 –
      Pierce, Elijah 03/05/1892 – 05/07/1984
      Pippin, Horace 02/22/1888 – 07/06/1946
      Pollock, Jackson 01/28/1912 – 08/11/1956
      Powers, Harriet 10/29/1837 – 01/01/1910
      Raffael, Joseph 02/22/1933 –
      Remington, Frederic 10/04/1861 – 12/26/1909
      Ringgold, Faith 10/08/1930 –
      Rockwell, Norman 02/03/1894 – 11/08/1978
      Rothko, Mark 09/25/1903 – 02/25/1970
      Sargent, John Singer 01/12/1856 – 04/14/1925
      Schnable, Julian 10/26/1951 –
      Scholder, Fritz 10/06/1937 – 02/10/2005
      Schultz, Charles 11/26/1922 – 04/12/2000
      Skogland, Sandy 09/11/1946 –
      Smithson, Robert 01/02/1938 – 07/20/1973
      Steinberg, Saul 06/15/1914 – 05/12/1999
      Stella, Frank 05/12/1936 –
      Stuart, Gilbert 12/03/1755 – 06/09/1828
      Thiebaud, Wayne 11/23/1920 –
      Tiffany, Louis C. 02/18/1848 – 01/17/1933
      Walker, Kara 11/26/1969 –
      Warhol, Andy 08/06/1928 – 02/22/1987
      Whistler, James M. 07/10/1834 – 07/17/1903
      Wood, Grant 02/13/1891 – 02/12/1942
      Wright, Frank Lloyd 06/08/1867 – 04/09/1959


      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
      PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
      360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
              Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children






      Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! Learn more.


    • Tammy Morin
      How about Willaim Sydney Mount. ... Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        How about Willaim Sydney Mount.
         


        Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
      • Amy Broady
        Mary Ann, I can t wait to see the book. Have you considered Walter Anderson (1903-1965)? A New Orleans-born artist who lived most of his life on the Gulf Coast
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          Mary Ann, I can't wait to see the book.

          Have you considered Walter Anderson (1903-1965)? A New Orleans-born
          artist who lived most of his life on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi.
          Extremely prolific, he interpreted his world in countless
          watercolors, created giant murals and block prints, and executed
          drawings of literary masterpieces (including Don Quixote and Alice in
          Wonderfland), with the pen in one hand, constantly moving, while he
          turned pages with the other. His work is stunning, and I wish I had
          known about years ago! His life was interesting, too. He lived an
          unusual life, marked with mental illness as well as great adventures.

          Let me know if you need more info on him...I have been building a
          collection of Walter Anderson books for the past year and a half. I'd
          have to say, he is my favorite artist.

          Thanks for seeking our input. Again, I can't wait to see the book in
          print--it sounds wonderful! Can I pre-order a copy?

          Amy in TN
        • Katherine
          ... Wow, Amy, thanks for the info on this artist. I am embarrassed to say that I d never heard of him. He has a lot of good stuff on the net that came up in
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Broady" <abroady@...> wrote:

            >
            > Have you considered Walter Anderson (1903-1965)? A New Orleans-born
            > artist who lived most of his life on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi.
            > Extremely prolific, he interpreted his world in countless
            > watercolors, created giant murals and block prints, and executed
            > drawings of literary masterpieces ...>>

            Wow, Amy, thanks for the info on this artist. I am embarrassed to say that I'd never heard of
            him. He has a lot of good stuff on the 'net that came up in a Google. His watercolors are so
            lively!

            kathy douglas
            massachusetts, retired
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TAB-ChoiceArtEd/
          • MaryAnn Kohl
            I will check out this artist. I m excited to look at his work! About pre-orders, Amazon has it set up now at a discount. Funny how that can happen before the
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              I will check out this artist. I'm excited to look at his work!

              About pre-orders, Amazon has it set up now at a discount. 
              Funny how that can happen before the book has even gotten through page layouts.
              DEADLINES. PRESSURE. ARRRRRRR.

              . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
              MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
              PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
              360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
              . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
              23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
                      Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children



              On Feb 2, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Amy Broady wrote:

              Mary Ann, I can't wait to see the book.

              Have you considered Walter Anderson (1903-1965)? A New Orleans-born 
              artist who lived most of his life on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi. 
              Extremely prolific, he interpreted his world in countless 
              watercolors, created giant murals and block prints, and executed 
              drawings of literary masterpieces (including Don Quixote and Alice in 
              Wonderfland) , with the pen in one hand, constantly moving, while he 
              turned pages with the other. His work is stunning, and I wish I had 
              known about years ago! His life was interesting, too. He lived an 
              unusual life, marked with mental illness as well as great adventures.

              Let me know if you need more info on him...I have been building a 
              collection of Walter Anderson books for the past year and a half. I'd 
              have to say, he is my favorite artist.

              Thanks for seeking our input. Again, I can't wait to see the book in 
              print--it sounds wonderful! Can I pre-order a copy?

              Amy in TN


            • MaryAnn Kohl
              I just looked him up....what a fascinating person! He was an artist, but he also invented a violin that played louder than the regular ones, and he composed
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                I just looked him up....what a fascinating person! He was an artist, but he also invented a violin that played louder than the regular ones, and he composed music too. He might be an excellent Early American choice for kids.

                . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
                PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
                360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
                . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
                        Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children



                On Feb 2, 2008, at 4:44 AM, Tammy Morin wrote:


                How about William Sydney Mount.
                 


                Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.


              • Anne Rose-Phillips
                HI First, Constable was English I believe, but Homer would be really good I think (I read somewhere him called the greatest American Watercolorist ) Also
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  HI
                  First, Constable was English I believe, but Homer would be really
                  good I think (I read somewhere him called the "greatest American
                  Watercolorist" )

                  Also what about John Marin (again watercolor focus)

                  also Audrey Flack (those super-real fruit could be a fun jumping off
                  point) and she wrote a neat book called (something like) Words for a
                  Young Artist which is lots of short pieces, so she might be into
                  being part of something like this...

                  Looks like a great list!
                  Anne in Salem OR
                • Amy Broady
                  Hi, Kathy! I m glad you tok the time to look him up and respond. It s a mini-mission of mine to increase awareness about this wonderful artist...I find that he
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hi, Kathy! I'm glad you tok the time to look him up and respond. It's a
                    mini-mission of mine to increase awareness about this wonderful
                    artist...I find that he is sadly overlooked. I never heard about him in
                    my art or art ed classes...it was a glimpse of a book cover in the art
                    aisle at Books-a-Million that caught my eye and inspired me to research
                    him.

                    Maybe our posts here will motivate a few others to "Google" him, too!

                    Amy in TN
                    http://mrsbroady.edublogs.org/

                    P.S. I'll be presenting "The Adventures, Adversity, and Astonishing Art
                    of Walter Anderson (1903-1965)" at the NAEA convention, 8am Friday.
                    Unfortunately it is scheduled at the same time as a session presented
                    by Clark Fralick, another TAB teacher.
                  • corinewest@aol.com
                    How about: Jean-Michel Basquiat Judy Chicago Corinne (second year teacher, new to this list)
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                    • 0 Attachment
                      How about:
                      Jean-Michel Basquiat
                      Judy Chicago

                      Corinne (second year teacher, new to this list)

                      More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail!
                    • MaryAnn Kohl
                      I never know what to do with Judy Chicago with young kids. Any suggestions? And I ll have to look up Jean-Michel Basquiat. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I never know what to do with Judy Chicago with young kids. Any suggestions?
                        And I'll have to look up Jean-Michel Basquiat.

                        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                        MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
                        PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
                        360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
                        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                        23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
                                Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children



                        On Feb 2, 2008, at 6:42 PM, corinewest@... wrote:

                        How about:
                        Jean-Michel Basquiat
                        Judy Chicago

                        Corinne (second year teacher, new to this list)


                        More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail!


                      • Betsy Holster
                        Discussing feminism with young kids isn t such a bad thing, is it? I wish they were made more aware of when people started to respond to certain
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Discussing feminism with young kids isn't such a bad thing, is it?  I wish they were made more aware of when people started to respond to certain issues...

                          Elizabeth Holster
                          Product Research Director, CPSA
                          Assistant Professor
                          CSUF Visual Art
                           
                          From Betsy Holster Art is where you live.



                          To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
                          From: maryann@...
                          Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 21:25:32 -0800
                          Subject: [art_education] Re: American artists for a book / Judy Chicago?

                          I never know what to do with Judy Chicago with young kids. Any suggestions?
                          And I'll have to look up Jean-Michel Basquiat.

                          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                          MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
                          PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
                          360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
                          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                          23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
                                  Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children



                          On Feb 2, 2008, at 6:42 PM, corinewest@... wrote:

                          How about:
                          Jean-Michel Basquiat
                          Judy Chicago

                          Corinne (second year teacher, new to this list)


                          More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail!




                          Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give. Learn more.
                        • MaryAnn Kohl
                          The people who use my books are not art educators...they are preschool teachers, daycare folks, and classroom elementary teachers. They don t have art
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                          • 0 Attachment
                            The people who use my books are not art educators...they are preschool teachers, daycare folks, and classroom elementary teachers. They don't have art backgrounds for the most part, and often many of them are scared of doing art...for many reasons, including that it might be seen as a "waste of time" to their districts. Yikes. Sad. They don't usually have art specialists in their schools, and are trying to do SOMETHING for the kids with art. Usually they are looking for ways to tie a great artist's work into a creative project the kids can do that will help them appreciate the artist, and remember that artist long after the project is gone.

                            After looking at Judy Chicago's work, I found that it would be easy to come up with something that would help kids appreciate Chicago and remember her work.

                            AND NOW: Now I have so many new good suggestions...I think I will have to go back to the Colonial artists and add the person that was suggested...William Sidney Mount...I have a big blank page in the early America chapter to fill.  

                            What would YOU do with first graders and Mount for an art activity? I'll be thinking about it  --and will report my idea back to you. But would love to hear a few ideas come from the group. 

                            MaryAnn

                            . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                            MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
                            PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
                            360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
                            . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                            23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
                                    Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children



                            On Feb 2, 2008, at 9:54 PM, Betsy Holster wrote:

                            Discussing feminism with young kids isn't such a bad thing, is it?  I wish they were made more aware of when people started to respond to certain issues...

                            Elizabeth Holster
                            Product Research Director, CPSA
                            Assistant Professor
                            CSUF Visual Art
                             
                            From Betsy Holster Art is where you live.



                            To: art_education@ yahoogroups. com
                            From: maryann@brightring. com
                            Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 21:25:32 -0800
                            Subject: [art_education] Re: American artists for a book / Judy Chicago?

                            I never know what to do with Judy Chicago with young kids. Any suggestions?
                            And I'll have to look up Jean-Michel Basquiat.

                            . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                            MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
                            PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
                            360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
                            . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                            23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
                                    Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children



                            On Feb 2, 2008, at 6:42 PM, corinewest@aol. com wrote:

                            How about:
                            Jean-Michel Basquiat
                            Judy Chicago

                            Corinne (second year teacher, new to this list)


                            More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail!




                            Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give. Learn more.


                          • Jennifer Freck
                            Hey MaryAnn...this is probably too late but was it hugely expensive to include Jacob Lawrence? :) Jenna ... Hey MaryAnn...this is probably too late but was it
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 22, 2008
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Hey MaryAnn...this is probably too late but was it hugely expensive to include Jacob Lawrence?  :)
                              Jenna
                              On Feb 1, 2008, at 10:49 AM, MaryAnn Kohl wrote:


                              Hello, All...I'm finishing up a new book on Great American Artists for Kids (ages 4-10), and have a couple of spots open. 
                              Any suggestions for someone you just love that I left out? 
                              (No Andrew or Jamie Wyeth -- they say they have enough books about them already!?!)

                              Not to be too picky, but anyone you suggest should have something about their technique or style that would be fun for kids to explore... 
                              And, I don't have very many from early America, so that would be fun to add to. Maybe I should add Constable or Homer. Hmmm.

                              A few important artists are not included because the permissions to show their art was too horrible to go through. (As in...HUGE fees!!!). 

                              Anyway, I would love your input. I want this book to shine! Thank you so much. I value each and every response...oh, this book is geared to young artists up through about age ten, though it would be a good resource for anyone, I think.

                              MaryAnn
                               

                              .......................................................

                              Adams, Ansel 02/20/1902 – 04/22/1984
                              Asawa, Ruth 01/24/1926 –
                              Audubon, John James04/26/1785 – 01/27/1851
                              Bearden, Romare 09/02/1911 – 03/11/1988
                              Bellows, George 08/12/1882 – 01/08/1925
                              Benton, Thomas Hart04/15/1889 – 01/19/1975
                              Biederman, Charles 08/23/1906 – 2004
                              Borglum, Gutzon 03/25/1867 – 03/06/1941
                              Buchanan, Beverly 10/08/1940 –
                              Calder, Alexander 07/22/1898 – 11/11/1976
                              Cassatt, Mary 05/22/1844 – 06/14/1926
                              Catlett, Elizabeth 04/19/1919 –
                              Chihuly, Dale 09/20/1941 –
                              Close, Chuck 07/05/1940 –
                              Cooney, Barbara 08/06/1917 – 03/10/2000 
                              Copley, John S. 07/03/1738 – 09/09/1815
                              Cornell, Joseph 12/24/1903 – 12/29/1972
                              Currier, Nathaniel 03/27/1813 – 11/20/1888
                              De Forest, Roy 02/11/1930 – 05/18/2007
                              De Kooning, Willem 04/24/1904 – 03/19/1997
                              Demuth, Charles 11/09/1883 – 10/23/1935
                              Diebenkorn, Richard 04/22/1922 – 03/30/1993
                              Dine, Jim 06/16/1935 –
                              Disney, Walt 12/05/1901 – 12/15/1966
                              Doolittle, Bev 01/10/1947 –
                              Fish, Janet 05/18/1938 –
                              Frankenthaler, Helen 12/12/1928 – 2002
                              Fuller, Buckminster 07/12/1895 – 07/01/1983
                              Geisel, Theodor 03/02/1904 – 09/24/1991
                              Goldberg, Rube 07/04/1883 – 12/07/1970
                              Haring, Keith 05/04/1958 – 02/16/1990
                              Hicks, Edward 04/04/1780 – 08/23/1849
                              Hofmann, Hans 03/21/1880 – 02/17/1966
                              Hopper, Edward 07/22/1882 – 05/15/1967
                              Indiana, Robert 09/13/1928 –
                              Ives, James 03/05/1824 – 01/03/1895
                              James, Jewell 02/03/1953 –
                              Jefferson, Thomas 04/13/1743 – 07/04/1826
                              Johns, Jasper 05/15/1930 –
                              Kahn, Wolf 10/04/1927 –
                              Lichtenstein, Roy 10/27/1923 – 09/29/1997
                              Lin, Maya 10/05/1959 –
                              Magee, Alan 05/26/1947 –
                              Martin, Agnes 03/22/1912 – 12/16/2004
                              Martinez, Maria 1884 – 1980
                              Moses, Grandma 09/07/1860 – 12/13/1961
                              Neiman, Leroy 06/08/1922 –
                              O’Keeffe, Georgia 11/15/1887 – 03/06/1986
                              Oldenburg, Claes 01/28/1929 –
                              and Van Bruggen, Coosje 06/06/1942 –
                              Osorio, Pepón 06/10/1955 –
                              Pierce, Elijah 03/05/1892 – 05/07/1984
                              Pippin, Horace 02/22/1888 – 07/06/1946
                              Pollock, Jackson 01/28/1912 – 08/11/1956
                              Powers, Harriet 10/29/1837 – 01/01/1910
                              Raffael, Joseph 02/22/1933 –
                              Remington, Frederic 10/04/1861 – 12/26/1909
                              Ringgold, Faith 10/08/1930 –
                              Rockwell, Norman 02/03/1894 – 11/08/1978
                              Rothko, Mark 09/25/1903 – 02/25/1970
                              Sargent, John Singer 01/12/1856 – 04/14/1925
                              Schnable, Julian 10/26/1951 –
                              Scholder, Fritz 10/06/1937 – 02/10/2005
                              Schultz, Charles 11/26/1922 – 04/12/2000
                              Skogland, Sandy 09/11/1946 –
                              Smithson, Robert 01/02/1938 – 07/20/1973
                              Steinberg, Saul 06/15/1914 – 05/12/1999
                              Stella, Frank 05/12/1936 –
                              Stuart, Gilbert 12/03/1755 – 06/09/1828
                              Thiebaud, Wayne 11/23/1920 –
                              Tiffany, Louis C. 02/18/1848 – 01/17/1933
                              Walker, Kara 11/26/1969 –
                              Warhol, Andy 08/06/1928 – 02/22/1987
                              Whistler, James M. 07/10/1834 – 07/17/1903
                              Wood, Grant 02/13/1891 – 02/12/1942
                              Wright, Frank Lloyd 06/08/1867 – 04/09/1959


                              . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                              MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
                              PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
                              360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
                              . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                              23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
                                      Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children





                            • Brandy
                              Isn t Alex Grey also American? My middle school students love his art the most. ... . . ... . .
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 23, 2008
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Isn't Alex Grey also American? My middle school students love his art
                                the most.

                                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Freck
                                <jennarations@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > Hey MaryAnn...this is probably too late but was it hugely expensive
                                > to include Jacob Lawrence? :)
                                > Jenna
                                > On Feb 1, 2008, at 10:49 AM, MaryAnn Kohl wrote:
                                >
                                > >
                                > > Hello, All...I'm finishing up a new book on Great American Artists
                                > > for Kids (ages 4-10), and have a couple of spots open.
                                > > Any suggestions for someone you just love that I left out?
                                > > (No Andrew or Jamie Wyeth -- they say they have enough books about
                                > > them already!?!)
                                > >
                                > > Not to be too picky, but anyone you suggest should have something
                                > > about their technique or style that would be fun for kids to
                                > > explore...
                                > > And, I don't have very many from early America, so that would be
                                > > fun to add to. Maybe I should add Constable or Homer. Hmmm.
                                > >
                                > > A few important artists are not included because the permissions to
                                > > show their art was too horrible to go through. (As in...HUGE fees!!!).
                                > >
                                > > Anyway, I would love your input. I want this book to shine! Thank
                                > > you so much. I value each and every response...oh, this book is
                                > > geared to young artists up through about age ten, though it would
                                > > be a good resource for anyone, I think.
                                > >
                                > > MaryAnn
                                > >
                                > >
                                > > .......................................................
                                > >
                                > > Adams, Ansel 02/20/1902 – 04/22/1984
                                > > Asawa, Ruth 01/24/1926 –
                                > > Audubon, John James04/26/1785 – 01/27/1851
                                > > Bearden, Romare 09/02/1911 – 03/11/1988
                                > > Bellows, George 08/12/1882 – 01/08/1925
                                > > Benton, Thomas Hart04/15/1889 – 01/19/1975
                                > > Biederman, Charles 08/23/1906 – 2004
                                > > Borglum, Gutzon 03/25/1867 – 03/06/1941
                                > > Buchanan, Beverly 10/08/1940 –
                                > > Calder, Alexander 07/22/1898 – 11/11/1976
                                > > Cassatt, Mary 05/22/1844 – 06/14/1926
                                > > Catlett, Elizabeth 04/19/1919 –
                                > > Chihuly, Dale 09/20/1941 –
                                > > Close, Chuck 07/05/1940 –
                                > > Cooney, Barbara 08/06/1917 – 03/10/2000
                                > > Copley, John S. 07/03/1738 – 09/09/1815
                                > > Cornell, Joseph 12/24/1903 – 12/29/1972
                                > > Currier, Nathaniel 03/27/1813 – 11/20/1888
                                > > De Forest, Roy 02/11/1930 – 05/18/2007
                                > > De Kooning, Willem 04/24/1904 – 03/19/1997
                                > > Demuth, Charles 11/09/1883 – 10/23/1935
                                > > Diebenkorn, Richard 04/22/1922 – 03/30/1993
                                > > Dine, Jim 06/16/1935 –
                                > > Disney, Walt 12/05/1901 – 12/15/1966
                                > > Doolittle, Bev 01/10/1947 –
                                > > Fish, Janet 05/18/1938 –
                                > > Frankenthaler, Helen 12/12/1928 – 2002
                                > > Fuller, Buckminster 07/12/1895 – 07/01/1983
                                > > Geisel, Theodor 03/02/1904 – 09/24/1991
                                > > Goldberg, Rube 07/04/1883 – 12/07/1970
                                > > Haring, Keith 05/04/1958 – 02/16/1990
                                > > Hicks, Edward 04/04/1780 – 08/23/1849
                                > > Hofmann, Hans 03/21/1880 – 02/17/1966
                                > > Hopper, Edward 07/22/1882 – 05/15/1967
                                > > Indiana, Robert 09/13/1928 –
                                > > Ives, James 03/05/1824 – 01/03/1895
                                > > James, Jewell 02/03/1953 –
                                > > Jefferson, Thomas 04/13/1743 – 07/04/1826
                                > > Johns, Jasper 05/15/1930 –
                                > > Kahn, Wolf 10/04/1927 –
                                > > Lichtenstein, Roy 10/27/1923 – 09/29/1997
                                > > Lin, Maya 10/05/1959 –
                                > > Magee, Alan 05/26/1947 –
                                > > Martin, Agnes 03/22/1912 – 12/16/2004
                                > > Martinez, Maria 1884 – 1980
                                > > Moses, Grandma 09/07/1860 – 12/13/1961
                                > > Neiman, Leroy 06/08/1922 –
                                > > O'Keeffe, Georgia 11/15/1887 – 03/06/1986
                                > > Oldenburg, Claes 01/28/1929 –
                                > > and Van Bruggen, Coosje 06/06/1942 –
                                > > Osorio, Pepón 06/10/1955 –
                                > > Pierce, Elijah 03/05/1892 – 05/07/1984
                                > > Pippin, Horace 02/22/1888 – 07/06/1946
                                > > Pollock, Jackson 01/28/1912 – 08/11/1956
                                > > Powers, Harriet 10/29/1837 – 01/01/1910
                                > > Raffael, Joseph 02/22/1933 –
                                > > Remington, Frederic 10/04/1861 – 12/26/1909
                                > > Ringgold, Faith 10/08/1930 –
                                > > Rockwell, Norman 02/03/1894 – 11/08/1978
                                > > Rothko, Mark 09/25/1903 – 02/25/1970
                                > > Sargent, John Singer 01/12/1856 – 04/14/1925
                                > > Schnable, Julian 10/26/1951 –
                                > > Scholder, Fritz 10/06/1937 – 02/10/2005
                                > > Schultz, Charles 11/26/1922 – 04/12/2000
                                > > Skogland, Sandy 09/11/1946 –
                                > > Smithson, Robert 01/02/1938 – 07/20/1973
                                > > Steinberg, Saul 06/15/1914 – 05/12/1999
                                > > Stella, Frank 05/12/1936 –
                                > > Stuart, Gilbert 12/03/1755 – 06/09/1828
                                > > Thiebaud, Wayne 11/23/1920 –
                                > > Tiffany, Louis C. 02/18/1848 – 01/17/1933
                                > > Walker, Kara 11/26/1969 –
                                > > Warhol, Andy 08/06/1928 – 02/22/1987
                                > > Whistler, James M. 07/10/1834 – 07/17/1903
                                > > Wood, Grant 02/13/1891 – 02/12/1942
                                > > Wright, Frank Lloyd 06/08/1867 – 04/09/1959
                                > >
                                > >
                                > >
                                > > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                                . .
                                > > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                                > > MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
                                > > PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA 98228
                                > > 360 592 9201 office • 800 480 4278 • 360 592 4503 fax
                                > > maryann@... • http://www.brightring.com
                                > > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                                . .
                                > > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                                > > 23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
                                > > Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children
                                > >
                                > >
                                > >
                                > >
                                > >
                                >
                              • MaryAnn Kohl
                                Thanks for the great idea! I decided to put in William Sidney Mount because my chapter on Early American Art was a bit skimpy. This Alex Grey is really
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 23, 2008
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  Thanks for the great idea!
                                  I decided to put in William Sidney Mount because my chapter on Early American Art was a bit skimpy.
                                  This Alex Grey is really fascinating...fun...I'll consider his art in the future.

                                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                                  MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
                                  PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
                                  360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
                                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                                  23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
                                          Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children



                                  On Feb 23, 2008, at 10:28 AM, Brandy wrote:

                                  Isn't Alex Grey also American? My middle school students love his art
                                  the most. 

                                  --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, Jennifer Freck
                                  <jennarations@ ...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > Hey MaryAnn...this is probably too late but was it hugely expensive 
                                  > to include Jacob Lawrence? :)
                                  > Jenna
                                  > On Feb 1, 2008, at 10:49 AM, MaryAnn Kohl wrote:
                                  > 
                                  > >
                                  > > Hello, All...I'm finishing up a new book on Great American Artists 
                                  > > for Kids (ages 4-10), and have a couple of spots open.
                                  > > Any suggestions for someone you just love that I left out?
                                  > > (No Andrew or Jamie Wyeth -- they say they have enough books about 
                                  > > them already!?!)
                                  > >
                                  > > Not to be too picky, but anyone you suggest should have something 
                                  > > about their technique or style that would be fun for kids to 
                                  > > explore...
                                  > > And, I don't have very many from early America, so that would be 
                                  > > fun to add to. Maybe I should add Constable or Homer. Hmmm.
                                  > >
                                  > > A few important artists are not included because the permissions to 
                                  > > show their art was too horrible to go through. (As in...HUGE fees!!!).
                                  > >
                                  > > Anyway, I would love your input. I want this book to shine! Thank 
                                  > > you so much. I value each and every response...oh, this book is 
                                  > > geared to young artists up through about age ten, though it would 
                                  > > be a good resource for anyone, I think.
                                  > >
                                  > > MaryAnn
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  > > ............ ......... ......... ......... ......... .......
                                  > >
                                  > > Adams, Ansel 02/20/1902 – 04/22/1984
                                  > > Asawa, Ruth 01/24/1926 –
                                  > > Audubon, John James04/26/1785 – 01/27/1851
                                  > > Bearden, Romare 09/02/1911 – 03/11/1988
                                  > > Bellows, George 08/12/1882 – 01/08/1925
                                  > > Benton, Thomas Hart04/15/1889 – 01/19/1975
                                  > > Biederman, Charles 08/23/1906 – 2004
                                  > > Borglum, Gutzon 03/25/1867 – 03/06/1941
                                  > > Buchanan, Beverly 10/08/1940 –
                                  > > Calder, Alexander 07/22/1898 – 11/11/1976
                                  > > Cassatt, Mary 05/22/1844 – 06/14/1926
                                  > > Catlett, Elizabeth 04/19/1919 –
                                  > > Chihuly, Dale 09/20/1941 –
                                  > > Close, Chuck 07/05/1940 –
                                  > > Cooney, Barbara 08/06/1917 – 03/10/2000
                                  > > Copley, John S. 07/03/1738 – 09/09/1815
                                  > > Cornell, Joseph 12/24/1903 – 12/29/1972
                                  > > Currier, Nathaniel 03/27/1813 – 11/20/1888
                                  > > De Forest, Roy 02/11/1930 – 05/18/2007
                                  > > De Kooning, Willem 04/24/1904 – 03/19/1997
                                  > > Demuth, Charles 11/09/1883 – 10/23/1935
                                  > > Diebenkorn, Richard 04/22/1922 – 03/30/1993
                                  > > Dine, Jim 06/16/1935 –
                                  > > Disney, Walt 12/05/1901 – 12/15/1966
                                  > > Doolittle, Bev 01/10/1947 –
                                  > > Fish, Janet 05/18/1938 –
                                  > > Frankenthaler, Helen 12/12/1928 – 2002
                                  > > Fuller, Buckminster 07/12/1895 – 07/01/1983
                                  > > Geisel, Theodor 03/02/1904 – 09/24/1991
                                  > > Goldberg, Rube 07/04/1883 – 12/07/1970
                                  > > Haring, Keith 05/04/1958 – 02/16/1990
                                  > > Hicks, Edward 04/04/1780 – 08/23/1849
                                  > > Hofmann, Hans 03/21/1880 – 02/17/1966
                                  > > Hopper, Edward 07/22/1882 – 05/15/1967
                                  > > Indiana, Robert 09/13/1928 –
                                  > > Ives, James 03/05/1824 – 01/03/1895
                                  > > James, Jewell 02/03/1953 –
                                  > > Jefferson, Thomas 04/13/1743 – 07/04/1826
                                  > > Johns, Jasper 05/15/1930 –
                                  > > Kahn, Wolf 10/04/1927 –
                                  > > Lichtenstein, Roy 10/27/1923 – 09/29/1997
                                  > > Lin, Maya 10/05/1959 –
                                  > > Magee, Alan 05/26/1947 –
                                  > > Martin, Agnes 03/22/1912 – 12/16/2004
                                  > > Martinez, Maria 1884 – 1980
                                  > > Moses, Grandma 09/07/1860 – 12/13/1961
                                  > > Neiman, Leroy 06/08/1922 –
                                  > > O'Keeffe, Georgia 11/15/1887 – 03/06/1986
                                  > > Oldenburg, Claes 01/28/1929 –
                                  > > and Van Bruggen, Coosje 06/06/1942 –
                                  > > Osorio, Pepón 06/10/1955 –
                                  > > Pierce, Elijah 03/05/1892 – 05/07/1984
                                  > > Pippin, Horace 02/22/1888 – 07/06/1946
                                  > > Pollock, Jackson 01/28/1912 – 08/11/1956
                                  > > Powers, Harriet 10/29/1837 – 01/01/1910
                                  > > Raffael, Joseph 02/22/1933 –
                                  > > Remington, Frederic 10/04/1861 – 12/26/1909
                                  > > Ringgold, Faith 10/08/1930 –
                                  > > Rockwell, Norman 02/03/1894 – 11/08/1978
                                  > > Rothko, Mark 09/25/1903 – 02/25/1970
                                  > > Sargent, John Singer 01/12/1856 – 04/14/1925
                                  > > Schnable, Julian 10/26/1951 –
                                  > > Scholder, Fritz 10/06/1937 – 02/10/2005
                                  > > Schultz, Charles 11/26/1922 – 04/12/2000
                                  > > Skogland, Sandy 09/11/1946 –
                                  > > Smithson, Robert 01/02/1938 – 07/20/1973
                                  > > Steinberg, Saul 06/15/1914 – 05/12/1999
                                  > > Stella, Frank 05/12/1936 –
                                  > > Stuart, Gilbert 12/03/1755 – 06/09/1828
                                  > > Thiebaud, Wayne 11/23/1920 –
                                  > > Tiffany, Louis C. 02/18/1848 – 01/17/1933
                                  > > Walker, Kara 11/26/1969 –
                                  > > Warhol, Andy 08/06/1928 – 02/22/1987
                                  > > Whistler, James M. 07/10/1834 – 07/17/1903
                                  > > Wood, Grant 02/13/1891 – 02/12/1942
                                  > > Wright, Frank Lloyd 06/08/1867 – 04/09/1959
                                  > > 
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  > > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                                  . . 
                                  > > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                                  > > MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
                                  > > PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA 98228
                                  > > 360 592 9201 office • 800 480 4278 • 360 592 4503 fax
                                  > > maryann@... • http://www.brightri ng.com
                                  > > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                                  . . 
                                  > > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                                  > > 23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
                                  > > Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  >


                                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.