Working with egg tempera

  • chssue
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
      I would like to have my painting students use egg temperat to paint
      selfportraits. How does egg tempera work when using powdered tempera
      instead of pigment? Do I need to make traditional gesso to prime
      surfaces for painting, or can egg tempra be used on a regular canvas
      panel or gessoed matt board?

      I would love to hear how others have approached this.
    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2008
        I made egg tempera with 6th graders once with powdered tempera, worked great. If you
        really want to get the magic of e t work small with small brushes so they can layer brush
        strokes for gradiation and color mixing, very time consuming. I would check out some
        books and do some homework. Panels are best I think; the matboard sounds clever and
        economical; if you do miniatures would be economical too. Hope that helped a bit. Keep
        us posted! ALi B.