Dustless Chalk

  • blamirecyn
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2008
      I am doing a project in which the students use colored chalk to create a background for
      stamped patterns. However, I noticed the chalk creates a lot of dust. I considered using
      tempera backgrounds, but that didn't work out so well. I thought of pastels, but those come
      out too heavy. Does anyone know of a dustless colored chalk I can use? Or any alternatives
      that might create the same soft look? Thank you.

      Cynthia
      FL
    • draw.art
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2008
        Crayola makes some dustless pastel colored chalks that are very inexpensive, as well as dustless white.
        Barbara

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2008
          Try dipping the chalk into white tempera first.  Dip and draw, dip and draw.  Creates some interesting colors and textures.  Try it on black paper, too.
          Kathy O

        • Amy Broady
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
            Cynthia,

            How about having the students apply soft pastels by rubbing them into
            the surface of the paper with cotton balls?

            They could use paper for stencils...stencils of negative shapes and
            positive shapes...or they could cut or tear interesting edges on
            strips of paper that they would apply the chalks directly to, and
            then wipe the chalks onto the main paper using a cotton ball or
            tissue. This is the idea behind a Georgia-O'Keefe-inspired pueblo
            project I have seen in many sources...I think the technique has lots
            of potential beyond the pueblo imagery, and now that it has been
            refreshed in my mind, I look forward to demonstrating it to my
            students and seeing what they come up with!

            One advantage of the cotton-ball application of the soft pastels is
            that it presses the powder into the paper fibers (You have to
            emphasis this to the students, though, so that they really try to
            work the color into the paper, not just wipe it onto the surface), so
            the result is not as messy, though the process itself still is.

            As for dipping the chalks into tempera--thanks for the suggestion,
            Kathy O! I will have to try this one. I have done something similar,
            but not using chalks. My students dipped oil pastels into tempera to
            create textured strokes that are outlined with the tempera. Looks
            very cool, but results in a textured piece, not a good surface for
            stamping patterns. I guess the amount of texture would be determined
            by the thickness of the tempera.

            Cyntia, I'd love to see how this project turns out. What age group is
            doing this? Are your students creating the stamps or using stamps you
            have on hand? Inquiring minds want to know...like me!

            Best wishes,
            Amy in TN