Re: Africa ideas needed

  • theresagillespie
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
      I'm still planning - I hope to figure out all my lessons/projects for
      artwork to be on display as well as some simple make and take things
      for the Family Art Night in May.
      So I would love any ideas or lessons you can give me. I want to do a
      variety to try and cover many different countries of Africa. I'm not
      going to do any African-American projects with these (I will do these
      at other times separate from this unit)
      I know some things I want to do with some grades, but I haven't
      finalized how to do them.
      I did take a look at your photos - I really like the mandalas.

      Thanks!
      Theresa
      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Terri Noell <daisymae91@...> wrote:

      > have you done this or finished planning yet? I have been unable to
      get to hotmail in almost2000 messgaes...so, to say I'm behind is an
      understatement...my students do 5 to 6 weeks on a different part of
      Africa this time each year...we are currently doing Kenya...let me
      know if I can help...I do have an old album in the photo section....
      > Terri k-5 Fla.
      >

      > To: art_education@...: theresagillespie@...: Mon, 7 Jan 2008
      04:28:21 +0000Subject: [art_education] Africa ideas needed

      > Happy New Year everyone! As the end of the first semester is
      arrivingsoon, I need to begin planning for my spring family art night.
      I'vedone this the last two years with great success. The night
      includes anart show throughout the school, make-and-take art
      activities, food,music, and fun.Each year is a different theme. My
      plan is to havearound 5 different themes then repeat them. My first
      one was Gettingto know the Artists - which all of the displayed
      student artwork andmake-and-take art activities dealt with a famous
      artist. The secondwas the art of Mexico and Latin America. So - this
      year is going to be Africa. I've purchased a few resourcesand have
      done a little surfing - but haven't decided on projects yet.Any ideas?
      I teach k-6 and like to have each grade do at least oneproject with
      the theme - some grades do two. I like to immerse thestudents in the
      theme. I also need some activities for the night thatare easy enough
      to do within a 10-20 minute time.(I set up stations inthe gym or
      different rooms for these activities)Thanks for any ideas!Theresa
      (Illinois)