Re: [art_education] Tempera woes?

  • kathie omalley
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2008
      I've noticed the last couple of years that the
      Crayola brand tempera comes as thick as pudding. It
      use to be thinner. When I realized that after I add a
      little water to the jar to thin it out I'm getting a
      little more paint for my buck I was tickled. Maybe
      the chipping you experience is from the paint going on
      too thick?
      Many of my paper mache lessons use colored
      construction paper as the final coat. I love the
      look. We distress the paper (crunch it) a few times
      before coating it with paper mache paste, otherwise
      the paper is too stiff and will not curve nicely to
      our forms.
      Going a little off subject here... right now I'm
      making paper mache dragons with my 5th graders. We
      stuffed small lunch bags and added tape for the body
      and then did all the appendages with aluminum foil.
      Wow! Can the kids get great forms with the alum.
      foil! It was really successful for everyone. I never
      thought to use it until another art teacher suggested
      it. Once the paper mache was applied we are using
      acrylic paint. I found that because students pick up
      the dragon the tempera can leave powder on their
      hands. Acrylic is great. The final step is adding
      glitter glues and puff paint for designs inspired by
      Oaxacan artwork.
      Just some thoughts, Kathie.

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs