Art Show

  • robyn525
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 4, 2008
      Hello everyone!
      I've been lurking in this group for a while now, enjoying reading all
      the interesting posts. However now I need to ask for help. I'm in my
      second year teaching at a Catholic jr/sr high school in NY. In past
      years our school has held "art shows," if you can even call them that,
      during the Christmas and spring concert. This meant 3 hours of set up
      and another for take down for a mere 15 minutes of viewing. By music
      students' parents. You can imagine my frustration with this. Plus the
      lighting in the gymnasium leaves something to be desired. So this year
      I'm putting on the school's first annual Art Show, showcasing at least
      one work from every student taking an art course. This means 7th, 10th,
      and kids from 5 elective courses. It's just me, one other teacher and
      art club putting this on. I'm looking for any insider tips on easy and
      inexpensive ways to hang work, displaying 3-d work, advertise, anything
      at all that could make this job easier for me. The date is May 8th and
      I have my art club team starting the advertising portion now.
      Thanks in advance for any help!
      Robyn
      NY
    • Katherine
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 4, 2008
        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "robyn525" <robyn525@...> wrote:
        I'm looking for any insider tips on easy and
        > inexpensive ways to hang work, displaying 3-d work, advertise, anything
        > at all that could make this job easier for me. The date is May 8th and
        > I have my art club team starting the advertising portion now.

        Hi Robyn,

        Although I worked with small children we were able to involve the kids in lots of show
        planning. Taking ownership of the show in as many ways as was practical increased their
        excitement about it...they dragged their families each year. Your older students could
        really do this to the max.
        I apologize for the lengthy link, but take a look at

        http://knowledgeloom.org/practice_story.jsp?
        t=1&bpid=1361&storyid=1214&aspect=1&location=3&parentid=1357&bpinterid=1357&
        spotlightid=1357

        there are several pages describing a student-centered exhibit. There might be something
        there for you! Good luck; shows can be a killer for sure if you don't have help.

        kathy douglas
        k-3 massachusetts retired
        Teaching for Artistic Behavior
      • Jeff Pridie
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 4, 2008
          Robyn,

          I have used one/two inch styrofoam panels constructed
          into cubes. We tee pinned the artwork on the panels
          first then constructed them into the cubes by pushing
          long nails into the ends. The styrofoam panels where
          donated from a local lumber yard and we got them free
          as long as we did not damage them (except putting the
          holes in them). They use the styrofoam panels to
          insulate walls in houses. The nice part is if you
          have the room to either stack or lean the panels until
          you need them you can put the work on them and then
          the day of set up take all the panels to the area you
          are displaying and set them up.

          if you can get a hold of choir raisers (they come in
          sections) I have covered them with cloth or paper and
          displayed 3D work on them.

          Just some ideas.

          Jeff Pridie (Minnesota)

          > Hello everyone!
          > I've been lurking in this group for a while now,
          > enjoying reading all
          > the interesting posts. However now I need to ask for
          > help. I'm in my
          > second year teaching at a Catholic jr/sr high school
          > in NY. In past
          > years our school has held "art shows," if you can
          > even call them that,
          > during the Christmas and spring concert. This meant
          > 3 hours of set up
          > and another for take down for a mere 15 minutes of
          > viewing. By music
          > students' parents. You can imagine my frustration
          > with this. Plus the
          > lighting in the gymnasium leaves something to be
          > desired. So this year
          > I'm putting on the school's first annual Art Show,
          > showcasing at least
          > one work from every student taking an art course.
          > This means 7th, 10th,
          > and kids from 5 elective courses. It's just me, one
          > other teacher and
          > art club putting this on. I'm looking for any
          > insider tips on easy and
          > inexpensive ways to hang work, displaying 3-d work,
          > advertise, anything
          > at all that could make this job easier for me. The
          > date is May 8th and
          > I have my art club team starting the advertising
          > portion now.
          > Thanks in advance for any help!
          > Robyn
          > NY

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Kelli Wilke
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 4, 2008
            Robyn,
            I know exactly how you feel.  I was in your position two years ago but I've put on a successful art show now for the past two years in our gym with over 300 pieces of artwork.  I find that the easiest way to hang is to use clothesline cord and those small black office clips to hang the work on the cord.  I know it's not fancy.  We don't matt the work, obviously, but the bottom line is that the work is on display, fancy or not.  I stay away from tape or sticky tack and attaching anything to walls because of so many potential problems.  I would also talk to your custodians.  They might be of some help with ideas as well.  They tend to be pretty resourceful.  I hope this helps and good luck.

            Kelli in NE

            robyn525 <robyn525@...> wrote:
[...]

          • blamirecyn
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 5, 2008
              Hi All,

              Robyn is not the only one who needs help with an art show. This is my second year teaching
              elementary art. I was able to escape an art show my first year, but there are expectations for
              this year. My question is, Do I have to have at least one piece of art for each student? There
              are around 825 students here. I don't have any help so I was planning on there being 300
              pieces on exhibit. More than that I think would overwhelm me. What is the proper protocol?
              Thanks.

              Cynthia
              FL
            • Kathy Costello
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 6, 2008
                It can be overwhelming, to produce an art show, but in the end it is so gratifying to see all the wonderful work up for display.The students love it,  and the parents are just WOW-ED!! It is important for public relations for the art program, as well. Although I teach in a small K-8 school, I save almost everything all year in large folders. I check off on a master list who has what in each class, and generally most students have at least 3-4 projects....some more. Then I enlist the help of wonderful parents the week before who come and help me hang during the day. I meet with them, lay out a general map of where certain things go,stay if I can, or go back to teach.They do a fantastic job. They also come and go as their schedule dictates, but approx. 12 parents and I get the job done in a day or 2. There are also tons of mobiles that I hang the final day, when I do get a sub for final preparations.The work is already mounted and labeled (by hand) by me. I do that all year as each unit is completed.
                That, along with being required to post daily online grades for each class (6 classes/day), and, oh yeah, teaching 9 levels of art in 3 days, keeps me quite busy! I know we all can relate to that!
                Good luck
                Kathy

              • Kelli Wilke

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 6, 2008
                    I some times resorted to a flyer sent home to students, along with the
                    permission slips for participation into the art show, that unless we
                    get enough parent volunteers, there will be no show. I word it more
                    tactfully then that, but that's the jest of it. I include an area on
                    the permission slip where the parent can check off one hour to two
                    hour blocks and an area for their email and phone number contact. This
                    places responsibility on everyone shoulder's equally. This has been
                    effective for me in the past. Also, if your school has an involved
                    PTA, that would be where I go first.
                    Regards,
                    Brandy

                    My question is, Do I have to have at least one piece of art for each
                    student? There
                    > are around 825 students here.
                    > Cynthia
                    > FL

                  • cen_aca_dp
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 6, 2008
                      My question is, Do I have to have at least one piece of art for each student?

                      I have approx. 525 students and I am very careful to include one piece per
                      student. Why? When I taught in another district, the policy was to include
                      only the "best" work and I heard the following comments repeatedly:

                      Parent: "Where is your artwork?"
                      Student: "Oh, mine wasn't good enough."

                      Well, that did it for me. What message was that district sending to those
                      students?

                      In order to make sure I have one piece for each student, I keep about 4 pieces
                      from each project we complete and mat them (usually on railroad board) at that
                      time. Then, on the day of the show, I have several helpers to put tape on & I
                      stick them up. Students are encouraged to take their work home that night
                      (less work for me!)

                      Even if it is a small sculpture or drawing, I personally think it is essential
                      to include something for everyone.

                      My opinion, of course!

                      Denise Pannell

                      Apache Kids'Art now online!

                      http://natepannell.memory-of.com/
                      "There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart. Ghandi"
                    • K Olson
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 7, 2008
                        I do an annual art show as well.  My school is a K-8 VAPA school with about 1200 students.  I've always tried to get one piece of work from each student, but that's pretty overwhelming.  My teachers know that the art show comes up every year. About a month before the show I remind them and ask them to have students choose one piece of artwork to put in the show and they mount it on construction paper.  I have the attendance lady make labels for every student (name, grade, and teacher) and I give the labels to the classroom teacher who puts them on the art work before giving it to me.  I recruit PTA moms and any other willing body to hang the work in our performing arts center.  We take 2-3 days to do that.  Then on Thursday night we hold the show.  In addition to the exhibit, I ask the music, drama, and dance teachers if they have any students who would like to perform.  We also have some art activity booths run by a few parents and my middle school art students.  Sometimes there is a theme, sometimes not.  Sometimes food for sale, sometimes not.  The art show is usually our biggest turn out of the year and a lot of fun.

                        We also have an on campus art gallery where we hold smaller shows throughout the year.  A grade level show, PTA art exhibit, etc.  At the end of the year the 8th grade art majors mount a Showcase of their work.

                        At the smaller shows I will have comment cards where students visiting the show can write comments about their favorite art and artists.  Be sure to read over those before distributing them.  Most are sweet and wonderful, but there are a few that need to be weeded out.  Try to have at least one comment card for every student, even if you have to write it yourself.  They love getting them!

                        Enough for now!
                        California Kathy

                      • donlynnwhitehead
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 7, 2008
                          So many great ideas and comments! I'm meeting with a parent committee
                          to plan this year's Art Night so the input from this group has been
                          very helpful.

                          To include music, we have scheduled student musicians from our school
                          to play throughout the evening in an area close to the entrance. Some
                          years we have arranged for a drama troupe to perform for a portion of
                          the evening. Last year we hired a mime who did a roving performance
                          during the evening but we made sure that she was allowed to talk, as
                          needed, so as not to frighten the young ones. She also did a couple of
                          short workshops that students/parents could attend.

                          We try to have 3 or 4 adult artists from the local community come in to
                          share their art and process. Each artist sets up in a classroom where
                          kids and parents can visit(possibly doing a quick activity that
                          involves the art process).

                          We're looking into having a few high school art students join us to
                          demonstrate their various art skills (painting, ceramics ...).

                          To display much of the art we have PVC pipe art stands that come apart
                          storage. We have to attach the art to large pieces of butcher paper
                          that drape over the stands. It is a lot of work to prepare these.

                          MY QUESTION to the group!

                          What do you use to DISPLAY artwork? Do you have special display
                          boards? Are there any time-saving tricks you could share?

                          Also, do you display art by classroom, by grade level, by theme?

                          I would love to get input from this creative (and practical) group of
                          art educators.

                          Thanks,

                          Lynn Whitehead (K-5)
                          Portland, Oregon
                        • aliteachesart
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 7, 2008
                            Hi Cynthia,

                            You really should try to get a piece from everyone. I have the tech guy print out lables sorted
                            by class. Once I've gone through all the labels that class is done. I also do atleast one "one
                            dayer" lesson that is guarenteed success for everyone, even if it is simple you will have one
                            for everyone. I the past I have hoarded art untilthe end of the year to get the best work from
                            everyone and variety for the show; that can be problematic for storage and time. This year I
                            am doing a theme of self-portraits. We are doing two or three different lessons per grade
                            and student choice so there will be lots of variations. Your school is huge so you could have
                            each class display the same lesson or even have a few grades work on a collaboration project.
                            Ask for a sub so you can have time to prepare or hang the show. It is a lot of work but very
                            important. Also, I have found (sadly) the art show has much more attendance when
                            inconjuncture with another program like spring open house or a concert. If you start
                            choosing and mounting art now you'll allieviate much stress! Ali B.
                          • smjahnle@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 7, 2008
                              In a message dated 1/7/2008 12:02:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, katholson@... writes:

[...]

                              Kathy - Your show sounds terrific - organized and fun!  It sounds like you have done a lot of thinking and planning.  I have a question that you may be able to answer: should I hold our school's (K-8, 700 students) art show on the same evenings as the end-of-year musical performances?  The parents would be able to see both in one night that way?  What do you think?  Thanks, Sandy in Philly

                            • smjahnle@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 7, 2008
                                In a message dated 1/7/2008 1:33:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, donlynnwhitehead@... writes:

                                What do you use to DISPLAY artwork? Do you have special display
                                boards? Are there any time-saving tricks you could share?

                                Also, do you display art by classroom, by grade level, by theme?
                                Hi Lynn - I purchased lightweight metal display panels ($75 each, 3' wide by 6' tall) that professional artists use for our school - now I have 10 of them - that are easy to use for displays all year long.  Last year I had at least one work by each student (many had two) and hung as many as I could, then had the overflow on tables by grade (the show is in our cafeteria).  I held the show over two nights; at the same time as the musical performances.  Sandy in Philly

                              • Heather Martin
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                                  I work in a terrific inner city school with so many talented artists. My problem is that we have a difficult time getting parents to attend afterschool functions. Each year we have an end-of-the-year art exhibition that hangs for a few days. Do any of you superstars out there have any ideas on how to boost parent attendance? The only people who end up seeing the show is the teachers and the students. I hang the show for the students and would continue to do it even if nobody came, but I would really love their parents to see all of the hard work that they do. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

                                  Thanks so much,
                                  Heather
                                • glennis dolce
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                                    We had a similar problem.  How about having the show at a time that parents are already at the school for something else?  Like Back to School, Open House, Spring Fling....or whatever end of the year event you have.
                                    It's what we had to do.

                                    On Feb 6, 2009, at 10:18 AM, Heather Martin wrote:

                                    I work in a terrific inner city school with so many talented artists. My problem is that we have a difficult time getting parents to attend afterschool functions. Each year we have an end-of-the-year art exhibition that hangs for a few days. Do any of you superstars out there have any ideas on how to boost parent attendance? The only people who end up seeing the show is the teachers and the students. I hang the show for the students and would continue to do it even if nobody came, but I would really love their parents to see all of the hard work that they do. Any suggestions would be appreciated! !

                                    Thanks so much,
                                    Heather

                                  • Paige Bacon
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009

                                      I did this before tied in with a tea party. I had the students make ceramic tea cups and teapots and they served their parent and then took the tea pots home. It was a big hit.

                                      Paige Bacon

                                      RRMH Art Department

                                      Room 148

                                      x1148

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                                        > I too work at an inner city school and have many talented students
                                        and we have struggled with this also. We are a k-8 school. What we
                                        have done is tied the art showing with another school event (a social
                                        studies night that includes exhibits, food, performing and my
                                        students art.) We also require parents to put in a specific amount
                                        of volunteer hours during the year and their attendance to this can
                                        works towards those hours>
                                        Good luck!
                                        Dave

                                      • MARYANN KOHL
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                                          Sometimes if you can have a meal that is free or even potluck, you can bring more in. And provide chldcare free.
                                          Dessert might be good enough. Icecream bars? Cake?
                                          Then take pictures for the kids to take home, if their art, in case some parents want to see, but they are afraid to come to school.
                                          MaryAnn Kohl

                                          On Feb 6, 2009, at 10:18 AM, Heather Martin wrote:

                                          I work in a terrific inner city school with so many talented artists. My problem is that we have a difficult time getting parents to attend afterschool functions. Each year we have an end-of-the-year art exhibition that hangs for a few days. Do any of you superstars out there have any ideas on how to boost parent attendance? The only people who end up seeing the show is the teachers and the students. I hang the show for the students and would continue to do it even if nobody came, but I would really love their parents to see all of the hard work that they do. Any suggestions would be appreciated! !

                                          Thanks so much,
                                          Heather

                                        • Sheba
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 7, 2009
                                            We actually scheduled a bus to pick up our parents for a function one
                                            year. The DSHS house where most of them live far away. and some lack
                                            transportation. But we are a middle school so parent involovment is
                                            REALLY low, usually by the kids choice. So adding the economic stuff on
                                            top of the age makes it hard. We have a very successful math night and
                                            literacy night, both have games, food and prizes. They are like
                                            carnivals.

                                            Cynthia
                                          • Kerry Marquis
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 7, 2009
                                              The short answer, I've found, is FOOD and lots of phone calls and emails (if they have them)
                                              to parents. Great luck!
                                              Kerry
                                              www.teachpottery.net
                                            • mcautobiography
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 8, 2009
                                                The issue of poor parent turnout at school functions is not just one
                                                for the art class, but one for the entire school.

                                                My principal passed around an article (sorry I don't remember the
                                                cite) about schools that had changed the structure of parent-teacher
                                                conferences to be parent-student-teacher conferences. This, along
                                                with other cultural changes at the schools, increased family
                                                involvement in all activities.

                                                Of course, this is a big change that the entire school has to invest
                                                in, not just the art teachers.

                                                -Michael

                                                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Sheba" <shebaduhkitty@...> wrote:

                                                > We actually scheduled a bus to pick up our parents for a function one
                                                > year. The DSHS house where most of them live far away. and some lack
                                                > transportation. But we are a middle school so parent involovment is
                                                > REALLY low, usually by the kids choice. So adding the economic stuff on
                                                > top of the age makes it hard. We have a very successful math night and
                                                > literacy night, both have games, food and prizes. They are like
                                                > carnivals.
                                                >
                                                > Cynthia

                                              • Heather Martin
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 8, 2009
                                                  I would love the article if you remember :) Thanks.