Re: need lesson plan ideas combining philosophy and art

  • Brandy
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2007
      I read this request with great interest because I think that art is
      the expression of many great thinkers. This is how artists say what
      they are thinking- through visuals- so asking that a philosophy be
      applied to the way they created their art is an agreement that can be
      made for almost any movement. As my 8 yr old says, 'I just can't say
      it in words'.
      I ran across a new-to-me artist today but I think he, Banksy, can be
      compared to Kieth Harring for a great class on the philosophy of
      visuals- both are graphic artist, both use the urban landscape for
      their canvas, and both had/have a message they wish to convey to the
      public. When and why graffiti artist came about could probably be
      written in no less than 150 boring academic pages, but I think
      teenagers could feel a kismit with their in-your-face, out of the box,
      one might say, angry art of expression.
      Here is just one link for Bansky that contained a lot of his images,
      26 to be exact-
      http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/images/2007/02/02/banksy_maid_470x340.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/image_galleries/banksy_gallery.shtml%3F14&h=340&w=470&sz=40&hl=en&start=31&um=1&tbnid=5bdJ_Aff8EFa1M:&tbnh=93&tbnw=129&prev=

      I think the dadaist were raging against the machine in their own way,
      but you could just as easily make a lesson plan from the surrealists.
      You said you had to compare visuals from the same movement. I did a
      class on "the metaphorosis of an artist" where we compared earlier
      works to later created ones from the same artists to see how he or she
      evolved. I did not attempt to examine the reason for the changes
      with my artists, only note that they happened.
      Please post what lessons you come up with!
      Regards,
      Brandy