Re: [art_education] Challenging 8th Grade Classes-Weigh in on the Scenario

  • Michael Barber
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
      Jeannie, Thanks for this advice. Straight forward.
      Mike

      >>> Eugenia Hess <ehess@...> 12/3/2007 10:25 AM >>>
      The best advice on quelling discipline issues came from this list.

      It is this:  tell the kids that they must use the materials
      appropriately or they will lose the privilege.  And that means they
      will sit and watch, sometimes they must be isolated,  or you could
      assign some sort of written material.  Next class, they may try
      again.  I work with k - 5th  and there is always some kid who wants
      to push me on this and I just take away the materials.  It shocks the
      rest of the students.

      Funny how focusing on demanding artistic behavior with the supplies
      ends so much of the rest of my discipline troubles.

      Then, teach the most engaging lesson you can, one that is not so
      difficult, one that is a short sort of lesson.  Get them feeling
      successful and competent.

      Jeannie in PA, k - 5

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:art_education-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:art_education-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Jennifer Auble
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
        Have you thought about daily participation points? I keep a clipboard near the front of the room and make notes on it if someone does not have necessary supplies, is not participating or had a bad day discipline wise. I also keep track of WOW behavior and reward on task behavior. Each week everyone gets 10 points for appropriate art room behavior and participation. If they have a bad day they could lose a point. Easy. I also agree about having a really fun, successful activity to get everyone back on track and then see if it fixes itself.

        >>> "Michael Barber" <mbarber@...> 12/3/2007 1:34 PM >>>
        Jeannie, Thanks for this advice. Straight forward.
        Mike

        >>> Eugenia Hess <ehess@...> 12/3/2007 10:25 AM >>>

        The best advice on quelling discipline issues came from this list.

        It is this: tell the kids that they must use the materials
        appropriately or they will lose the privilege. And that means they
        will sit and watch, sometimes they must be isolated, or you could
        assign some sort of written material. Next class, they may try
        again. I work with k - 5th and there is always some kid who wants
        to push me on this and I just take away the materials. It shocks the
        rest of the students.

        Funny how focusing on demanding artistic behavior with the supplies
        ends so much of the rest of my discipline troubles.

        Then, teach the most engaging lesson you can, one that is not so
        difficult, one that is a short sort of lesson. Get them feeling
        successful and competent.

        Jeannie in PA, k - 5

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • yrbrownarted
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
          Thank you Jim...I hope this week is better and I will be applying some of the list's tips.

          YRB
          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "James Cipalla" <Jcipalla@...> wrote:

          > B - I'd say 25 - 35 students
          > C - True, but you'll find this in other classes as well - what bothers me is when there are
          a considerable amount of students who WANT to take Art, but are put into another class
          for some reason (some say to balance the disruptive students out)

          > Namaste,
          >
          > Jim Cipalla
          >
          > Art Teacher, Northside Middle School
          > Norfolk,Virginia
          > Vice President, TVAEA (Tidewater Virginia Art Educators Association)
          > JCipalla@...
          >
          > Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of
          beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling
          or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality
          and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
          > = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

          > Greetings colleagues,
          >
          > Please weigh in on the scenario ( a composite of
          > concerns from a couple of teachers):
          >
          > A. 8th Grade Art Class
          > B. 15-20 Students
          > C. Several students have no desire to learn about art
          > or develop art skills
          > D. A small number of students are interested in
          > learning about art and/or developing and expanding
          > their art skill set
          > E. A great deal of the teachers time is taken up with
          > discipline and refocusing off task students
          > F. Projects that should take 5-15 sessions are being
          > extended once or twice
          > G. Students that are interested in their art
          > education are frustrated and feel cheated
          > H. Poor craftsmanship and effort
          > I. Late and missing work, which is setting the
          > course schedule behind
          > J. Teacher morale is challenged
          > K. Teacher thinks short 1-2 day individual richly
          > engaging projects, media based art centers, and small
          > group projects for the less interested students might
          > be a good solution, and so-called regular projects for
          > the more focused students
          >

          > Thanks for your sage advice,
          >
          > Y.R. Brown

          > Make Yahoo! your homepage.
          > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          >

          > --

        • yrbrownarted
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
            Jennifer,

            I think the daily participation points is a good dea, I did acheivement points last year, but
            it was a big bookkeeping ordeal. The more abbreviated clipboard method seems
            reasonable and more likely to induce stress or more work for me. Thank you for sharing.

            Do you have ideas on late work and slow work on projects.

            Y.R. Brown

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Auble" <aublej@...> wrote:

            > Have you thought about daily participation points? I keep a clipboard near the front of
            the room and make notes on it if someone does not have necessary supplies, is not
            participating or had a bad day discipline wise. I also keep track of WOW behavior and
            reward on task behavior. Each week everyone gets 10 points for appropriate art room
            behavior and participation. If they have a bad day they could lose a point. Easy. I also
            agree about having a really fun, successful activity to get everyone back on track and then
            see if it fixes itself.

            > Jeannie, Thanks for this advice. Straight forward.
            > Mike

            > The best advice on quelling discipline issues came from this list.
            >
            > It is this: tell the kids that they must use the materials
            > appropriately or they will lose the privilege. And that means they
            > will sit and watch, sometimes they must be isolated, or you could
            > assign some sort of written material. Next class, they may try
            > again. I work with k - 5th and there is always some kid who wants
            > to push me on this and I just take away the materials. It shocks the
            > rest of the students.
            >
            > Funny how focusing on demanding artistic behavior with the supplies
            > ends so much of the rest of my discipline troubles.
            >
            > Then, teach the most engaging lesson you can, one that is not so
            > difficult, one that is a short sort of lesson. Get them feeling
            > successful and competent.
            >
            > Jeannie in PA, k - 5
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • aliteachesart
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 6, 2007
              Hi YR, Do you have clear step by step expectations? I used to have problems when I let
              the students be "free" to interpret within my expectations. This caused behavior issues b/
              c they needed clearer guidence (sp). I write out my steps, give clear learning objectives
              (you could do this all on your rubric). Students are still creative and imaginative and free
              to diverge if they have an idea. Maybe you need to hook them back in with a cool, easy
              project, like notan, cd covers or a texture collage. I bet your centers idea would be great
              too. Don't give up! Ali