Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [art_education] Re: reply to certification question

Expand Messages
  • Renah Bell
    Hi,, I know this is old, but can you tell me where the Materials for the Arts in Queens is located and what kind of stuff you can get with them, please. I am
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2 3:09 PM
      I know this is old, but can you tell me where the Materials for the Arts in Queens is located and what kind of stuff you can get with them, please. I am currently teaching art to learning challenged high schoolers,and a source for free supplies would be great!!
      Thank you in advance,
      Renah Bell
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2007 3:28 PM
      Subject: Re: [art_education] Re: reply to certification question

      Hi Amy,
      I'm sorry you're having the same kid issues that I am. 
      Regarding art supplies.... I'm sorry that you're not down here where you can go to Materials for the Arts in Queens and load up on free stuff.  Here are a couple of links that may help you:
      www.donorschoose. org - you can write up projects and have them specifically fund them.  You should do it about 3 months in advance of when you need it.  In general, $500/proposal seems to be their suggestion, so you can even divide up your proposal into parts... teachers at my school have had wonderful luck with them and they service upstate.  It's a pretty simple application process.
      Airborne Expands Teacher Trust Fund Program for School Art and Music Programs
      Grants totalling $250,000 will be provided to elementary and middle schools in fifteen states for the 2006-07 school year to fund art and music programs that are in jeopardy of being lost or have already been eliminated.. ..
      Deadline: Rolling
      Posted: December 26, 2006
      while this may not apply to you - above - maybe it would be worthwhile to see if they have any programs that do. 
      I have a couple of other things I can suggest, email me offlist. jen.spence@hotmail. com
      There is actually a grant that you should know about....
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: aj4art
      Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2007 8:23 AM
      Subject: [art_education] Re: reply to certification question

      Like you, Shelley- I have a BFA (textiles). After I had my child, I looked into a Masters in Art
      Ed. I was told at SUC Buffalo that I needed an undergrad degree in Art Ed to get a Masters.
      No way was I going to get another Under Grad degree! I ended up taking an accelerated
      program at Niagara University- Masters in Elementary Education.Through this, I was able
      to apply through BOCES for my Art Ed. cert. (Pre-K- 12) because I had enough Art Credits
      from my undergrad work. I'm sure you could get a masters in El Ed. online and use that for
      your art ed cert. All you have to do is pass the (easy) elementary tests.
      Having dual certification definately helped my land my job. Just last week I recieved my
      permanent certification for art. Still trying to figure out how I can keep my El Ed cert.,
      though. (I need to video tape myself teaching a core area- maybe combine art with math,
      or social studies...) Any ideas? Now I'm thinking about getting the another masters in
      instructional technology. I'm not sure which way to go....Right now I'm not sure if I want to
      this for the rest of my life- the fast pace- no time between classes- no $$$$ for supplies-
      bad attitudes form kids,etc... It certainly is wearing me down.
      Oh, well- I hope this helps!
      Amy (NY)

      des form kids,etc... It certainly is wearing me down. --- In
      art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "Shelly Gordon" <sgordon13@. ..> wrote:
      > I find all these posts very educational, but, I think
      > that all of these programs would not be a good fit
      > for me as I do not have an Ed undergrad degree.
      > My degree is a BFA. At the time, I had no interest
      > in teaching. Now, if I want to teach, I have to have
      > an Masters in Art Ed degree. Which is an MS. I find
      > that very strange as the only program here is heavily
      > studio based, and not Ed based.
      > As far as I know, NY state requires an Education
      > degree of some sort to teach Art Ed. I am
      > pretty sure that you can't do that online?
      > If anyone knows anyway around this, I would be
      > interested to hear about it.
      > I love to hear everyone's own personal story
      > regarding how they are accomplishing these
      > things, so keep it up!
      > Peace,
      > Shelly in Upstate NY
      > ----- Original Message -----
      > From: Jennifer
      > To: art_education@ yahoogroups. com
      > Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 9:20 AM
      > Subject: [art_education] Re: reply to certification question
      > I am in the process of applying for my permanent certification in NY,
      > down in the Catskills. I got my Bachelors in K-12 Art Education. I
      > got certified in PA, then got a job in NY, where I passed all of the
      > provisional certification items within my first year of teaching. I
      > had 5 years to get my Masters, was prepared to start at New Paltz
      > with a Masters in Art Education and then had a baby. I didn't want to
      > commute while I had a small baby, so I began a Masters on-line, in
      > Integrating Technology into the Curriculum through Walden University.
      > I previously checked with BOCES and they said that any degree would
      > be applicable for a Masters and Permanent Certification.
      > So now that I have completed the degree, which has been a great asset
      > to my classroom, I am filling out an application for permanent
      > certification through BOCES and eventually the state. But you have to
      > have 2 years of teaching experience before you do this. So if you get
      > your masters right away, you'll have to teach for 2 years before you
      > apply for Permanent. Plus of course you have to pay $100 for the
      > certification. I'll let you know if I come across any roadblocks, but
      > everyone I spoke to before I took my Masters assured me that NY
      > accepted the degree (it's an accredited institution of the Eastern
      > something or other- that's what counts) and also assured me it could
      > be in any area. I am glad that I diversified now, though perhaps
      > eventually when I have the time I will return for a Masters in Art
      > Education, so I can teach at a college level.
      > I hope this helps. Good luck!
      > Jen
      > --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "Molliy" <MAKEART96@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've been teaching for 15 years-- there is a such thing as being
      > > permamnently certified? Never heard of it-- of course I'm not in
      > New
      > > York. I've been certified in NC and now IL. But ever state has
      > there
      > > own exams you have to pass to be certified. At least in the two I
      > > have worked in, you have to take professional knowledge hours or
      > > college course work to renew your certificate ever so many years as
      > > well.
      > >
      > >
      > > --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "Jen Millward"
      > > <jenmillward@ > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > .
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > <http://geo.yahoo. com/serv?
      > > s=97359714/grpId= 3520770/grpspId= 1705019151/ msgId
      > > > =13013/stime= 1173964159/ nc1=4438974/ nc2=3848539/ nc3=3848643>
      > Hello
      > > Group,
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > I am looking for art teachers in New York State to help me answer
      > a
      > > question
      > > > about becoming permanently certified. I am currently in my junior
      > > year of an
      > > > Art Ed program at college which will lead to certification to
      > teach
      > > K-12
      > > > Art. Well, obviously I need to get a Masters degree eventually to
      > > receive
      > > > permanent certification. However, I am getting such conflicting
      > > advice (from
      > > > professionals no less!) about which programs would be suitable
      > for
      > > my
      > > > purposes that I thought I should ask those who have "been there,
      > > done that."
      > > > If you received permanent certification (after 2004) in NY, what
      > > Masters
      > > > program did you take and where? I am completely open to other
      > > certification
      > > > fields as well, just as long as they help me become permanently
      > > certified to
      > > > teach Visual Arts.
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > Help!
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > >
      > > > Jennifer in northern NY
      > > >
      > >

    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.