need lesson plan ideas combining philosophy and art

  • Jeanette
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hello all
      I have to come up with three art lessons that would have the following
      in them:
      at least 2 comparative visuals from the same movement (modern art-
      surrealism, abstract expressionism, womens art movement to name a few)
      some kind of philosophy that would be applied to these visuals (solving
      a philosophical problem using the visuals?)
      the art history of the visuals, artists, what was going on during the
      movement, why the movement happened etc
      and also have the students apply this knowledge to an art project that
      is simular to the movement (such as a painting or drawing)
      ANY assist would be appreciated in this direction
      please email me directly with such assist
      Thanks so much
    • Brandy
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2007
        I read this request with great interest because I think that art is
        the expression of many great thinkers. This is how artists say what
        they are thinking- through visuals- so asking that a philosophy be
        applied to the way they created their art is an agreement that can be
        made for almost any movement. As my 8 yr old says, 'I just can't say
        it in words'.
        I ran across a new-to-me artist today but I think he, Banksy, can be
        compared to Kieth Harring for a great class on the philosophy of
        visuals- both are graphic artist, both use the urban landscape for
        their canvas, and both had/have a message they wish to convey to the
        public. When and why graffiti artist came about could probably be
        written in no less than 150 boring academic pages, but I think
        teenagers could feel a kismit with their in-your-face, out of the box,
        one might say, angry art of expression.
        Here is just one link for Bansky that contained a lot of his images,
        26 to be exact-
        http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/images/2007/02/02/banksy_maid_470x340.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/image_galleries/banksy_gallery.shtml%3F14&h=340&w=470&sz=40&hl=en&start=31&um=1&tbnid=5bdJ_Aff8EFa1M:&tbnh=93&tbnw=129&prev=

        I think the dadaist were raging against the machine in their own way,
        but you could just as easily make a lesson plan from the surrealists.
        You said you had to compare visuals from the same movement. I did a
        class on "the metaphorosis of an artist" where we compared earlier
        works to later created ones from the same artists to see how he or she
        evolved. I did not attempt to examine the reason for the changes
        with my artists, only note that they happened.
        Please post what lessons you come up with!
        Regards,
        Brandy