one more idea for stained glass

  • Cathy
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2007
      I haven't been reading my emails lately from the group so sorry to
      jump in here late.
      I used pieces of vinyl for a project to cover a big window area in my
      school. It is the stuff you can get by the yard at Rag Shop or Joanne
      Fabrics or places like that. You can even use crystal clear vinyl
      tablecloth covers or shower curtains. Make sure it says heavy-duty on
      the package if you use a shower curtain.
      It comes in different thicknesses, and I think 12 gague was what we
      used mostly. I actually bought a huge roll online at Joanne with a
      coupon and the PTA paid for it. I am ramping up to do the window
      again, every kid makes a part of it.
      We use permanent markers and newsprint to separate the pieces when
      saving them to work on from one class to the next, or the marker will
      stain the piece it touches!
      The best part?
      It CLINGS TO THE WINDOW! It doesn't come off unless you take it off.
      You wet the window with a sponge and use a brayer to roll the piece
      flat against the window with a piece of newsprint on top to protect
      it. MAKE SURE THE MARKER SIDE IS NOT TOUCHING THE WINDOW!!! It will
      transfer to the window and make a big clean-up job.
      It is a lot of fun.
      The first year the kids all did self portraits. The second year we
      did butterflies with symmetrical designs and the kids worked
      character education words into the wing design of the butterfly. They
      were a BIG success. The sun coming though the colors made colored
      patches on the walls and floor.
      If anybody wants photos, I have them and can send or put up on the
      group site.

      Cathy
    • MaryAnn F. Kohl
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2007
        Re: [art_education] one more idea for stained glass I tried something yesterday. I used a thin white (translucent, not transparent) party tablecloth. It works GREAT for stained glass.

        On  12/1/07 8:01 PM,  Cathy  allgaul@...  wrote:

[...]

        MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
        PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
            360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
        maryann@... • http://www.brightring.com
        22nd Anniversary 1985 – 2007

        Celebrating 22 Years of Bringing Art to Children