World AIDS Day 2007 - Activities?

  • Lars Hasselblad Torres
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2007
      A shout out to everybody doing GREAT work - thank you! - keep strong
      - keep faith. To follow is my WAD2007 message to Peace Tiles peeps,
      educators, and students. I'd love to know what others might have been
      up to. Also, found a fun resource for sharing: ProjectStitch - http://
      www.projectstitch.org - upload your image, podcast, or video about
      AIDS in the world. And check out Brazilian Artist Adrriana Bertini's
      World AIDS Day activity: http://twramericas.com/blog/
      2007/12/01/100000-condomsexperimento-elastico/

      Cheers!
      -----
      Hey everybody. Its December 1st.

      Across the globe HIV/AIDS in the world - and its effect on human life
      everywhere - is being remembered as a fight that hasn't been won.
      While 2007 saw some signs of hope - the UNAIDS recently reported that
      they had overestimated the extent of the AIDS epidemic and, world-
      wide infections have been falling since the 1990s - a closer look
      behind the numbers reveals that there are many dimensions to the
      epidemic that stand in the way of real progress.

      Janet Museveni, first Lady of Uganda, recently wrote about one such
      dimension in her World AIDS Day call for 2007: "In 1998, women
      accounted for 41 percent of HIV-infected adults worldwide. By 2005,
      women made up almost 50 percent, and nearly 60 percent in sub-Saharan
      Africa.

      60 percent. That is the same portion of the 33 million infected with
      HIV world-wide who live in sub-Saharan Africa, where efforts to
      combat HIV infection and life with AIDS face shortages - of
      effective, ongoing education, nutrition, and access to basic health
      care.

      "The gender imbalance in sub-Saharan Africa is even more striking
      among young people," the First Lady also wrote, "A woman between the
      ages of 15 and 24 is two and a half times more likely to be infected
      than her male peer."

      >> Learn more about HIV/AIDS in Sub-Saharan Africa at: http://
      www.avert.org/subaadults.htm

      Closer to home (for me), in Washington, DC AIDS was declared a
      "modern epidemic" in the city, where one in 20 district residents is
      infected with HIV and one in 50 has full-blown AIDS. 80% of those
      infections are among Black men, women and teens - and again women
      bear the effects of the epidemic disproportionately: African-American
      women constitute 58 percent of the District’s female population, but
      account for 90 percent of all new female HIV cases.

      >> Learn more about HIV/AIDS in the Capital of the United States at:
      http://tinyurl.com/38yjuo

      Global Envision, in their World AIDS Day 2007 commemoration, reports
      that, "Rates of infection are also growing at alarming rates in
      Eastern Europe and Central Asia. According to a 2006 UNAIDS report,
      Uzbekistan and Ukraine have seen their HIV positive population double
      in number since 2001."

      >> Learn more about HIV/AIDS in Eastern Europe at: http://
      www.avert.org/ecstatee.htm

      Effective prevention outreach. Addressing gender and violence in our
      communities. Access to healthy food and life-saving drugs. Advanced
      vaccine research. These are all part of the solution. More
      importantly, AIDS is not just an issue that affects people infected
      with the virus: it affects all of us. Each of us, by committing to
      take action on just one dimension of the global AIDS pandemic, can
      collectively produce phenomenal results. We can be educators. We can
      help provide access to nutrition. We can contribute to research
      efforts. At a minimum we can share our humanity by showing support
      for people living with AIDS.

      If you are not already deeply involved in the global campaign to beat
      back AIDS, this World AIDS Day I encourage you to take a pledge, take
      a stand against AIDS. Help Make AIDS History - and join Global
      Leaders like Hillary Rodham Clinton (umm - yes, that's an
      endorsement!) by making a commitment to Do Something. The best place
      to start that I have found is the Global AIDS Alliance at http://
      www.globalaidsalliance.org.

      Thanks everyone, and keep strong - make love, use a condom - pass it
      on (the message, not the condom)!

      Peace,

      lars
      -----