Artsonia

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 21, 2007
      Hi All,
      I am thinking of doing the Artsonia site for my students at my school.
      I am intreged at the opportunity to raise some money without doing a
      fundraiser and I like the idea of the site. I have a few questions for
      those of you that do this though. How long does it take to get the
      work scanned and uploaded? Do you find you've integrated that into
      your routine or is it difficult. Also how do you choose which pieces
      to put in? I know some of my families will love this and others won't
      even bother to look, how do you highlight it? If you could go back in
      time and not join Artsonia would you? Thanks for any imput! Ali
    • Lauren
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 21, 2007
        I love it, and the students have such pride in showcasing their work
        online. At the start of they year I send home a permission form to
        put their artwork online. If the students return a form, then all of
        their work goes online as we finish projects. I have been doing it
        for the last 3 years, and it just seems to get easier and easier. For
        me, the easiest thing to do is take pictures of the work and upload it
        from the camera.
        I sometimes have student helpers take the pictures, but you have to be
        sure they are good picture takers, or else they are cropped weird or
        blurry. I even have students help upload work. I would say that I
        do about 95% of it, and that it does take some time, but it is well
        worth it.

        www.artsonia.com/fertitta1
        --
        Lauren in Vegas
      • marcia
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
          It's great! I love Artsonia. For me, it doesn't take
          that much extra time and I get soooo many positive
          comments from parents and kids that it's worth it. A
          lot of times when we finish a project, the kids will
          ask "Are you going to put this on artsonia???"
          However, it is a little bit extra work, so if you
          think some of the families won't look at the work, the
          permission slip idea is a great one. The parents at
          my school are very involved and I think a LOT of them
          look at it. We don't make too much money from it
          (maybe about $200 a year?), so I don't really do it
          for that reason. Also, artsonia is a good place to
          get lesson ideas. Say you want a project with frogs,
          you type in "frogs" on the search option and you will
          see all the projects with that in the title.

          Marcia

          Be a better pen pal.
        • tricia_fuglestad
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
            I'm a HUGE fan of Artsonia. I've been doing it for about 3 years and it gets easier as I go. I
            have something like 85% participation at my school. I send out the permission slips to all the
            new students anyone who was in it before stays in it (unless they request otherwise). I
            register the parents with the email address they give me on the permission slip. This really
            helps ensure participation since each new uploaded piece of artwork sends the parent and all
            the fan club members of the artist an email alert.
            Artsonia funds have bought me a new digital camera, external harddrive, a smartboard and
            LCD projector!
            But here is the best part...I make digital portfolios with my graduating 5th graders. I take
            pictures of 100% of all their artwork and store it in a "working portfolio" on my harddrive.
            Before, they couldn't watch their progress and review what they had learned because they
            didn't have access to my harddrive. Now, they are being reminded constantly of their growth
            and learning everytime they see their online digital portfolio on Artsonia. Artsonia was the
            missing link for making digital portfolios. It isn't just an extra-it's now curriculum for me.

            http://www.artsonia.com/schools/dryden1

            Tricia Fuglestad
            Dryden Elementary School
            Arlington Heights, IL
          • Brandy
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 22, 2007
              I have been doing it for about 3 years, and I really love it. I put
              all student art work up, and if the parents see it, awesome; if they
              don't, it helps round out the project to show what it was capable of.
              All my younger students feel like stars when they get their art
              pictures taken. I think it gives many of them the feeling that their
              piece is important to take a picture of.
              Artsonia has a new system that allows you to upload ten works at a
              time. I think it only takes me about 20-30 minutes to upload a
              project. I have earned very little from this as a fundraiser, so I
              hope if that area doesn't pan out for you, you aren't disappointed.
              The great thing is that you don't have a contract- you can stop at any
              time. If I get super busy, there are projects that don't make it
              online, and that's okay too.
              Happy thanksgiving,
              Brandy

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, marcia <marciadotcom@...> wrote:

              > It's great! I love Artsonia. For me, it doesn't take
              > that much extra time and I get soooo many positive
              > comments from parents and kids that it's worth it. A
              > lot of times when we finish a project, the kids will
              > ask "Are you going to put this on artsonia???"
              > However, it is a little bit extra work, so if you
              > think some of the families won't look at the work, the
              > permission slip idea is a great one. The parents at
              > my school are very involved and I think a LOT of them
              > look at it. We don't make too much money from it
              > (maybe about $200 a year?), so I don't really do it
              > for that reason. Also, artsonia is a good place to
              > get lesson ideas. Say you want a project with frogs,
              > you type in "frogs" on the search option and you will
              > see all the projects with that in the title.
              >
              > Marcia
              >
              > http://www.artsonia.com/schools/school.asp?id=106609

              > Be a better pen pal.
              > Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
              http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

            • tandpmcgee
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 23, 2007
                In terms of strictly fund raising, you might find quicker and easier ways to raise money. On
                Artsonia, I have found that the fundraising part works best with younger children (my parents
                tend to purchase more the younger the student). HOWEVER, I DO think that Artsonia is the
                BEST art advocacy tool available. It has FAR surpassed any art show I could have ever
                imagined. I reach thousands of parents and family members (I have never had a thousand
                people in attendance any traditional art show). The parents LOVE it! The kids think it is so
                cool and leave encouraging comments for friends (all comments are parent approved –
                another nice feature). These comments stay "attached" to the artwork electronically through
                the years so that a fifth grader can look back at comments and art made from Kindergarten.
                I would suggest starting out with one project per student and then add more as you are
                comfortable. Philosophically, I don't feel right excluding artwork that is not as successful as
                others, so I include all the students (all parents love their child's art even if it doesn't look as
                good as the others). It does take a long time from photographing, to cropping, to uploading,
                but it is well worth the effort. I would suggest trying to find parent volunteers, or even a sub
                in your building that might not be busy to help you photograph.

                Theresa McGee in Illinois
              • Christy Branham
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2008
                  I too use Artsonia. It's totally worth all of the time and effort. My
                  school is a Title I school and I use it as an incentive. When my kids
                  see the work of other students they are more motivated to do their
                  personal best to have their work displayed. The money that is raised
                  for your art room is a bonus, but I don't raise a whole lot of money
                  due to where my kids come from. It is absolutely worth it and gets
                  easier every year!
                • Lauren
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2008
                    I also use artsonia. My students love it, especially my 6th graders.
                    I give them the permission form given by artsonia at the beginning of
                    the year. It does have a place for the parents email address so they
                    can get updates of the students work. This is also helpful to get
                    your students fan club growing.

                    www.artsonia.com/fertitta1

                    --
                    Lauren in Vegas
                  • Larry Seiler
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 4, 2008
                      Artsonia is the first online association I've had where I received a
                      personal call at school from their people, wondering if everything on
                      Artsonia was working alright for us, since they had noted it had been
                      awhile since I uploaded more recent work. Teaching K-12...just told
                      them I had been busy is all...end of year stuff especially.

                      I was impressed with that!

                      Larry
                    • ednakate
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 6, 2010
                        Not really sure if it's ok to post this but one of my students is up for artist of the week.
                        I teach at a Title 1 school and it would be nice for all of us if he won. He is K-3 screen name: Max1893.
                        Thanks,
                        Alyssa
                        San Diego
                      • MaryAnn F. Kohl
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 11, 2011

                          At the NAEA convention in Seattle in March, I spoke in depth with Artsonia's founder, Dave. I told him I'd be happy to mention Artsonia on our Art Educator Group email list. Artsonia is an online venue for art related things for teachers, parents, and kids and Dave is passionate about it.

                          If you don't know about Artsonia, it's an online venue for your students to display their artwork.
                          Arsonia has the largest children's online art gallery -- from 100 countries.
                          Kids can participate in having their artworks voted for too, if that's of interest.
                          It is possible to win online awards and honors, and so much more.
                          They offer products and keepsakes imprinted with kids' artworks and you can keep a percentage of the sales$.
                          You can receive state and national awards and honors.
                          I like that you can share lesson plans with other art educators.
                          It's ag reat website.

                          I hope you'll visit the website and check it out, see if it meets some of your needs or the needs of your students or parents.

                          MaryAnn

                        • Byrd1956
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 13, 2011
                            I too have been using Artsonia for many years....around 7 and love the site. I do all the picture taking, uploading, etc. I send a congratulatory letter to my student's parents with information on how to register, join fan clubs, make comments, etc. Once they do all these things, they e-mail me. I check the student's artsonia portfolio and then credit their grade a A. This extra full-blown grade is a motivator and the parents do the work, not the students, but I know many of the parents/students have 'bonding-time' while checking out their art portfolios. The students are also presented a certificate in class and we all clap and make a big deal out of it. Of course w/junior high kids sometimes I make a bigger deal than they do! The students are proud, the parents send me very positive comments and the extra $ for the art department isn't bad either. My sister and I went to a training Artsonia had several years ago in Chicago. It was great and free! The people at Artsonia are very nice, helpful and open to suggestions. Cheryl and I also loved having a mini-vacation together in that great city. The link to my school's online gallery is: