intro - new fiber craft

  • bernie m
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2003
      Hi,

      My name is Sharon May.  I am originally from Texs, but now live in Israel with my husband and 2 children. I have to admit I'm not really a crafter, but have started to take a greater interest very recently.

      I married a very creative individual who created a new fiber craft called NettlePoint . This is a new fiber craft where one can create beautiful wallhangings, easily ( examples can be seen at: http://www.NettlePoint.com )

      This was pretty much my husband business (even though I am the actual owner - I'm the business side of the business - ...career was orignally the main focus, who ever thought about getting married) . I've only started to take a greater interest in crafts  recently after one of the write ups we've received which introduced our craft by speaking about 'sewing circles' where one would to learn to sew, knit, etc from their mother, grandmother, etc (sitting on lap, etc) . As a mom I realized what a shame it is that we are so busy doing the infamous something that we don't make the time for those things which are really important - ie, our children/family.

      It turns out my children love doing crafts and are always looking for something ( I think they also enjoy the extra mommy time. Which to admit I do too !! )

      Well, I took the plunge, and decided that if I was to be of any added value to the children I had to learn to do crafts myself! I started with NettlePoint, and had so much fun!! The kids love it. We also enjoy scrapbokoing and rubberstamping.

      If you are interested the article can be seen at:

      It occurred to me that since NettlePoint is so simple perhaps this could be vehicle to introduce children into the varoups needlecrafts - or crafts in general as well as otehr subjects ( science - fibers, language arts and history - history of fibers, tapestries and events in history during the time period, etc, math - graphs, charts, etc.

      Since I'm not a formal educator I woudl like to hear from the list if there is a need or interest in cross curriculum activies - ie, combining the arts, science, language arts, etc . And any successes or failures which they might have come across in previous efforts to utilze these kinds of activities.

      thx.

      Sharon May

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Renah Bell
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 20, 2004
        Hi,
        Whatever happened to the sample I was supposed to get. I've been to Israel and back and still have not received my sample. Bernie and I have spoken. What happened. A friend will be in Israel in February. Perhaps you can get it to her. She will be in Raanana near my daughte since her daughter is my daughter's friend. Perhaps we can figure out a way to get it to me. I have ideas that I'd like to try out so I can use it with my classes.
        I do hope to hear from you.
        Sincerely,
        Renah Bell
        516-295-5844(USA)