Need your creative ideas for still life

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2003
      Dear Art Educators,

      I just got a request for composition help for high school....This is a good
      time to spruce up the lesson plan for still life on IAD.

      Here is the question from Jennifer:

      >>I just viewed your website and you really have some great information on
      it! I' m going to be an art teacher and will be teaching my first class on
      tuesday on composition. Do you have any ideas on a creative activity the
      high school students could do? I need something to incorporate a still
      life. How could I spruce it up and make it exciting using texture, color,
      shapes etc.?

      Add on your ideas and I will add them to Ken's Lesson Plan (I'll forward to
      Jennifer)

      Here is what I told her already:

      Do you have access to any bones? Bones make neat still life material.
      Do you have a local museum that could loan you some antique items? Some old
      tools? Bring in assorted kitchen appliances - still life that represents
      culture.
      How about a theater company - could they loan you a bunch of old hats?
      If not - get the students to bring in items that represent themselves and
      draw their own self portrait still life. These could be tromp d'oeil type
      still life. Get some old musical instruments from the band room -- borrow
      some sports equipment. Have them use viewfinders them to loccate an
      interesting part of the still life.

      See Ken Schwab's lesson plan - scroll down
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/kenshading.htm
      Set up a still life that has different textures - some fabrics for patterns.
      You could combine this with his pierced drawing (cut out part and add a
      section of color)
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/ken-pierced.htm

      Thanks in advance for sharing your successful still life lessons.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Jdecker@...
      http://www.incredibleart.tk