Ideas needed for Severe Behavior Problems (primary level)

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2003
      Dear Art Educators,

      I just received a request for lesson ideas for primary age children with
      severe behavior problems.
      Post your replies to Sheri to the list and I will forward them to her.
      Michael Gerrish - I hope you are reading.

      From Sheri Fried sfried68@... :

      >> Do you have any resources for teaching art to primary
      level Severe Behavior Handicap students??
      I am at a loss. I have a class of 5 of these kids. I
      have basically given up trying to teach them any
      content such as art history, criticism, or aesthetics.
      Their behavior is so uncooperative and unpredictable.
      I have been trying busy work instead, but they finish
      everything so quickly, or get easily frustrated and
      give up.

      This was my reply to her so you do not need to repeat anything I have
      already told her:

      I would take it one element at a time. I am working on a page for Incredible
      Art Department right now for kindergarten/early childhood that will give you
      some ideas.

      I would suggest doing exploratory type lessons with the students to build
      confidence in making art. Do some no fail lessons just exploring materials.
      Once you have built confidence in the art making, then you can add more art
      history/appreciation.

      Look at the ideas for Early Childhood on Incredible Art Department:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/early/early.html

      There is a reason for their behavior problem. Many act up because they feel
      they can not do the work...If you work on building self esteem - you will
      not have as many problems with them in art.

      This article may help you:
      http://www.kinderart.com/teachers/autism.shtml

      There might be something here, too:
      http://ericec.org/faq/lesnplan.html

      Importance of clear discipline plan:
      http://www.aft.org/lessons/two/elements.html
      Set up rewards - special projects they can do if they behave.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Jdecker@...
      http://www.incredibleart.tk