Teachers are our Heroes

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2003
      Dear Art Educators,

      I have had this in my draft folder for quite some time....I guess today is
      the day I am supposed to post it.
      I'm still looking for more Heroes lessons to add to Incredible Art
      Department. I have a story/dance idea to share that goes along with this
      theme. I'll post it soon. Keep on doing "God's work".

      I'll start with this quote:

      "Teachers leave the world a little bit better than they
      found it, knowing if they have redeemed just one life,
      they have done God's work." ~ Frosty Troy

      More good teacher "words:"
      http://students.luther.edu/~campra02/Words%20About%20Teachers.htm

      http://www.mnea.org/classkids/heroes.htm

      You Want Heroes?
      By Frosty Troy

      "Where are the heroes of today?" a radio talk show host thundered. He
      blames society's shortcomings on public education. Too many people are
      looking for heroes in all the wrong places. Movie stars and rock
      musicians, athletes and models aren't heroes, they're celebrities. Heroes
      abound in public schools, a fact that doesn't make the news.

      There is no precedent for the level of violence, drugs, broken homes,
      child abuse, and crime in today's America. Public education didn't create
      these problems but deals with them every day. You want heroes? Consider
      Dave Sanders, the schoolteacher shot to death while trying to shield his
      students from two Neo-Nazi youth on a bombing and shooting rampage at
      Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado. Sanders gave his life,
      along with 12 students, but other less heralded heroes survived the Colorado
      blood bath.

      You want heroes? Jane Smith, a Fayetteville, NC, teacher, was moved by
      the plight of one of her students, a boy dying for want of a kidney
      transplant. So this pretty white woman told the family of this handsome
      14-year old black boy that she would give him one of her kidneys. And she
      did. When they subsequently appeared together hugging on the Today Show,
      even tough little Katie Couric was near tears. You want heroes? Doris
      Dillon dreamed all her life of being a teacher. She not only made it, she
      was one of those wondrous teachers who could bring the best out of every
      single child. One of her fellow teachers in San Jose, Calif., said, "she
      could teach a rock to read." Suddenly she was stricken with Lou Gehrig's
      Disease, which is always fatal, usually within five years. She asked to stay
      on the job--and did. When her voice was affected she communicated by
      computer. Did she go home? She is running two elementary school libraries.
      When the disease was diagnosed, she wrote the staff and all the families
      that she had one last lesson to teach - that dying is part of living. Her
      colleagues named her Teacher of the Year.

      You want heroes? Bob House, a teacher in Georgia, tried out for Who
      Wants to be a Millionaire. After he won the million dollars, a Network film
      crew wanted to follow up to see how it had impacted his life. New cars? Big
      new house? Instead, they found both Bob House and his wife still teaching.
      They explained that it was what they had always wanted to do with their
      lives and that would not change. The community was both stunned and
      gratified.

      You want heroes? Last year the average public school teacher spent $468
      of their own money for student necessities--workbooks, pencils--supplies
      kids had to have but could not afford. That's a lot of money from the
      pockets of the most poorly paid teachers in the industrialized world Public
      schools don't teach values? The critics are dead wrong. Public education
      provides more Sunday school teachers than any other profession. The average
      teacher works more hours in nine months than the average 40-hour employee
      does in a year.

      You want heroes? For millions of kids, the hug they get from a teacher
      is the only hug they will get that day because the nation is living through
      the worst parenting in history. Many have never been taken to church or
      synagogue in their lives. A Michigan principal moved me to tears with
      the story of her attempt to rescue a badly abused little boy who doted on a
      stuffed animal on her desk--one that said, "I love you!" He said he'd
      never been told that at home. This is a constant in today's society--two
      million unwanted, unloved, abused children in the public schools, the only
      institution that takes them all in. You want heroes? Visit any special
      education class and watch the miracle of personal interaction, a job so
      difficult that fellow teachers are awed by the dedication they witness.

      There is a sentence from an unnamed source, which says, "We have been so
      anxious to give our children what we didn't have that we have neglected
      to give them what we did have."What is it that our kids really need? What
      do they really want? Math, science, history and social studies are
      important, but children need love, confidence , encouragement, someone to
      talk to, someone to listen, standards to live by. Teachers provide upright
      examples, the faith and assurance of responsible people. Kids need to be
      accountable to caring parents who send well-disciplined children to school.
      These human values are essential in a democracy.

      Now, pass this on to someone you know who's a teacher, or to someone who
      should thank a teacher today!

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Jdecker@...
      http://www.incredibleart.tk