Notan Design - Lesson idea

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2003
      Dear Art Educators,

      Notan came up on Getty list earlier this fall in a discussion on positive
      and negative space. Bunki Kramer did a lesson with her students that was
      very successful. This is a good lesson from many grade levels (see Santa
      Rosa Junior College examples)

      The term notan, often translated simplistically as dark-and-light, is a
      phonetic composite of two Japanese or Chinese characters no (meaning
      concentrated) and tan (meaning pale, faint).

      Notan : The Dark-Light Principle of Design
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/048626856X/102-0287640-8075300
      ?v=glance

      Some examples -Santa Rosa Junior College:
      http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan-web/
      http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan-sp03-web/FrameSet.htm

      Notan mask designs (slide changes every 10 seconds):
      http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan-masks-f02/
      Here they created corrugated cardboard masks from their designs:
      http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan-masks-sp03-web/FrameSet.htm

      pdf file - student handout:
      http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan.pdf

      Bunki Kramer's student work:
      http://www.lcms.srvusd.k12.ca.us/NEWKramer/Notanfolder/NOTAN.htm

      You can find more examples by entering Notan in a Google image search.

      If anyone does a lesson on this, I would like to put it on Incredible Art
      Department.

      Here is another design project to consider - Type Collage:
      http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/type-web/ good for middle school through
      high school.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Jdecker@...
      http://www.incredibleart.tk
    • Brenda Robson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2009
        I am not able to find any of the Notan examples listed below. I'd really like to see them if anyone copied and pasted onto a lesson plan or their computer.
        Brenda

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Decker" <JDecker@...> wrote:

        > Dear Art Educators,
        >
        > Notan came up on Getty list earlier this fall in a discussion on positive
        > and negative space. Bunki Kramer did a lesson with her students that was
        > very successful. This is a good lesson from many grade levels (see Santa
        > Rosa Junior College examples)
        >
        > The term notan, often translated simplistically as dark-and-light, is a
        > phonetic composite of two Japanese or Chinese characters no (meaning
        > concentrated) and tan (meaning pale, faint).
        >
        > Notan : The Dark-Light Principle of Design
        > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/048626856X/102-0287640-8075300
        > ?v=glance
        >
        > Some examples -Santa Rosa Junior College:
        > http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan-web/
        > http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan-sp03-web/FrameSet.htm
        >
        > Notan mask designs (slide changes every 10 seconds):
        > http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan-masks-f02/
        > Here they created corrugated cardboard masks from their designs:
        > http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan-masks-sp03-web/FrameSet.htm
        >
        > pdf file - student handout:
        > http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/notan.pdf
        >
        > Bunki Kramer's student work:
        > http://www.lcms.srvusd.k12.ca.us/NEWKramer/Notanfolder/NOTAN.htm
        >
        > You can find more examples by entering Notan in a Google image search.
        >
        > If anyone does a lesson on this, I would like to put it on Incredible Art
        > Department.
        >
        > Here is another design project to consider - Type Collage:
        > http://www.santarosa.edu/art/art3/type-web/ good for middle school through
        > high school.
        >
        > Judy Decker - Ohio
        > Jdecker@...
        > Incredible Art Department
        > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
        > http://www.incredibleart.tk

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2009
          I don't have copies of the examples for which the links no longer work. I do have one photo that shows 8 examples of Notan.

          http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2628336820076630878CqbSvb

          These were done as a part of a Sunday school lesson on John 21:1-17. The lesson is posted at http://rotation.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1401026472/m/1771067472?r=308106461#308106461

          --Carol

        • bruthrobson@aol.com