Wallpaper ideas

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2003
      A question came up on Getty list what to do with
      wallpaper books.

      Check out these collage pieces - Kids can do this --
      Math connections, too! Todd DeVriese (also can tie in
      Islamic art with this unit)
      http://fisher.osu.edu/art/devriese/devriese.htm

      This lesson can teach skills in using a compass, ruler
      and X-acto knife. I can see students combining maybe
      three related wallpaper prints (showing contrast of
      values -- large print combined with small print) with
      newspaper copy, solid color papers, wrapping papers -
      and accent with gold paint markers. If anyone does a
      lesson like this - please share with Incredible Art
      Department.

      I have used wallpaper books for collagraph prints
      (textures papers), as backgrounds for our Renaissance
      inspired paintings, for the heroes triptychs, in
      Japanese inspired collage (for backgrounds and
      kimonos), in Picasso self portraits. I have also used
      wallpaper samples as surface for relief printing - we
      got some interesting results. Another idea did with
      elementary was to make beads for our Zuni Indian
      necklaces (long triangles rolled up).

      See Ken Schwab's Kimono collagraph lesson:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/ken-kimono.htm

      Student could create a collage kimono from wallpaper,
      printed papers and solid colors.

      I have many links you could use for kimono images:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/oriental.htm
      (scroll down)

      You might also tie in Chinese costume (compare and
      contrast) and have students design a collage inspired
      by either culture. If anyone does a kimono lesson, I
      would like to put it on Incredible Art Department.

      Renaissance portrait lesson:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/8renpaint.htm

      Japanese collage lesson:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/7-japan.htm

      Ideas that have been shared so far include Quilt
      designs and "Lost and found" paintings by Maggie
      Tucker:
      >> I've also had kids use wallpaper as a sort of
      lost-and-found surface for painting. Gesso most of
      the surface of the wallpaper sample, thinning
      it out in spots so you can see the original design.
      Paint on the gesso surface, again incorporating
      design.

      Maggie has also given students 2" squares that they
      had to use to develop a composition. For example - A
      flower became the tail of a squirrel.

      Try Michal's camouflage lesson -
      http://www.geocities.com/theartkids/middleschool/camouflage.html

      Please post any additional ideas.