lessons for 6th grade-comics!

  • hollingsworth005@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2007
      Once again the list comes to the rescue!! This is a tough year for our district. We are small with only one middle school and one high school with 3 elementary schools feeding in. At the beginning of this year we opened a 4th elementary school, zoned for the first time ever, and kept the 6th grade at the elementary level. So this means many students had to switch schools and we got a number of 6th grade students who are new to our school and are feeling a little resentful that they didn't get to go to middle school ( like in the past) I am an early childhood major (taught 1st grade before I had my own babies) and I barely liked my own children when they were in middle school!! (loved 'em but they had those adolescent days) So older kids are always a little more challenging to me. To make the situation worse I have been out on medical leave 14 days since the start of school. In for a week out for a week in for a week, out for 2 weeks--a nightmare!! Hopefully I'm well and back in t
      he saddle! So now how to hook those 6th graders - oh and by the way did I mention our district had no curriculum for middle school so I'm supposed to be just making something up? I love the comic book lesson- a lot of them are into that I noticed. We are finishing up our Square 1 Magnet stuff so I had the 6th grade class start the autobiographical writing for the comic lesson (as they finished the magnet assignment) They really seem excited and ready to start. So thanks Kris for the timely suggestions! My art club this year will be 9 6th grade boys! Any suggestions there? I did an interest survey their first week. They want to go outside and action paint and do clay. I let them use photobooth on my MAC ad they had a blast doing special portraits.
      JEryl in SC
    • mrsjillhare
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2007

        If anybody teaches art to at risk students, you should read this!

        Story: Art Therapy

        It's uplifting for art therapy!

        Jill
      • Jeff Pridie
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2007
          Hi,

          Sixth graders are really focused on themselves and
          friends. Doing projects that deal with them or their
          friends make them happy. They love to do word design
          projects...their names...friends names. Constructing
          things to make them happy....design their bedrooms
          using a variety of materials cardboard, wallpaper,
          carpet, paint, etc., construct a tennis shoe out of
          clay then glaze or paint it in a creative fashion that
          describes their personality, take the images they
          create on the computer and make them into paintings
          etc, have them create a childrens book using their
          cartoon skills, have them create political cartoons
          dealing with issues that relate to students (maybe one
          about not being put into the middle school), poster
          designs, C.D cover designs of favorite songs, create
          an ad for a product, teeshirt designs,
          etc.

          Just some suggestions

          Jeff (minnesota)